Firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
When I start a fire, I notice that the firebrick in the box and baffle becomes black. This goes away every time after a solid fire is built and they are back to the original color. Is this normal or are my startup practices flawed?

Mine often do the same thing, especially when using a piece of the ole Wal Mart fire starters! They clean right up with a good, hot fire.

Absolutely nothing to be concerned about in the least.

The black is just soot (pure carbon). Once the firebox is over 600 degrees F, the soot burns off.

Same thing happens to me. It is normal, I even get some on the glass and that cleans when the fire is hot too.

woodslinger said:
When I start a fire, I notice that the firebrick in the box and baffle becomes black. This goes away every time after a solid fire is built and they are back to the original color. Is this normal...

Yes.

woodslinger said:
...or are my startup practices flawed?

Perhaps, but you won't be convicted based soley on the firebrick coloration evidence. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.