firebricks and bolts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pl@yer

Sep 15, 2009
NB Canada
I just bought a Drolet escape 1800. The bolts for the pedastal go into the bottom of the firebox. They stick up about 3/8" and the firebrick sits on top of them I am worried that they will cause the bricks to break. Does anyone know of a reason I should not grind them flush to the firebox?
Also does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this stove?

Thanks,
Steve

I do not know your stove but I would grind the bricks just enough at the spot of contact. I assume you can not reverse the bolts for more clearance?

Grinding the bolts just may make things difficult if you ever had to remove them. Try filling the bottom of the stove with sand to the top of the bolts. Also, if you crack a firebrick in the bottom, it really isnt a big deal

I'm assuming the threaded ends are what protrude. You could try shortening the bolts or put washers under the bolt heads. A little bit of sand under the brick is probably a good thing. It stops them rocking and helps with heat transfer.

I would shave the bricks to fit into the screws not the screws to fit into the brick. Bricks a relatively cheap compared to hastle of changing a screw if it gets messed up. Also, contact the manufacturer of your stove and ask if your stove is disinged that way or it is a flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.