Firechief add on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisg

Sep 6, 2007
NEK VT
OK I will try this again with a different add on my last post asking about the Englander didn't seem to get any rave reviews so I think that one is out. Does anyone have thoughts, opinions and/or real world use about this furnace. Would love to hear any and all comments. Is this an EPA rated stove? Thanks Chris

Just bumping this back up the list.
Still very interested in any feedback on a Firechief add on particularly the model 700. It appears that none of these type of units (as in forced hot air add on in general) are epa rated, not really sure if I am to concerned about that. After searching thru this section I did find some reference to this furnace that included some not so good feedback about the forced draft with a blower setup and based on another recent post about a super jack with a potential overfire because of a draft blower I am wondering if that feature would be an advantage.
Do these type of units use alot of wood or do they compare to say a large wood stove like the Dutchwest 2479 I have now that will go thru about 5 to 6 cords? I also currently have a class a chimney installed 4 yrs ago that is about 20' high and pulls an excellent draft.
I am really torn between investing $2500 into the Firechief or similarly priced furnace or just pickup the Englander furnace that on paper could potentially do the same job for half the money $1200. Both of these stoves are available locally.
I would really really appreciate any help in figuring out what to do or other furnace recommendations.
Thanks again Chris

These furnaces (both) are 1970's technology....nothing much has been done to upgrade indoor hot air furnaces over the years. They will work well, but at the same don't expect a very high efficiency or state-of-the-art.

I don't think the Englander even has thermostat control, which (if true) is a big shortcoming.

I would guess you would use at least 50% more wood than a Dutch, maybe more. Central heat is not as efficient as space heat and you are also downgrading in efficiency.

There is an EPA equiv indoor furnace called the Caddy - you can find some threads on it here by using the search box. I don't think there are any other efficient hot air units, but I would not be surprised to see some coming out in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.