Fired up my M55 for the first time!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Sounds like the adjustable auger cover plate may be closed too far restricting the pellet feed.

Read all the manuals. Barely have a flame. Tried to mess around with the settings, the damper. Nothing. The flame is tiny and not getting any heat. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

chanlon1974 said:
Read all the manuals. Barely have a flame. Tried to mess around with the settings, the damper. Nothing. The flame is tiny and not getting any heat. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Is the stove in manual mode or is it on a thermostat?

SmokeyTheBear said:
chanlon1974 said:

Is the stove in manual mode or is it on a thermostat?

Bears on to it. Stoves in Auto and no stat connected. Stove fires and goes straight to low fire. Flip the switch to manual and stand back!

feed trim 1-4 is lit up, same with combustion. I'm not really understanding the settings. If you hold down the feed trim in conjunction with the hear level buttons, you can adjust the setting by two. So you can have 1 and 2 lit not 3 and have 4 and 5 lit. I'm not seeing a difference though. Now the stove just went to error code 3. Would not having a fresh air intake vented outside effect it? I didn't get a chance to hook that up yet. One dealer told me I didn't have to hook that up. Told me if my house was older and not a new house that is air tight, you can just let it pull from the room. Thoughts?

I have the Regency gc60 which is the m55 just with Regencys name on it, now its not hooked up yet still waiting on pipe, but in the manual it states that this stove needs a lot of fresh air and a oak is strongly reccommended. Take a look at the manual you should see it in bold letters. I wish i could help more, but I am brand new to the pellet sickness so good luck with getting your stove figured out.

Did you check the position of your auger cover plate? It might be nearly closed, not allowing enough pellets to feed into the auger.

flynfrfun said:
Did you check the position of your auger cover plate? It might be nearly closed, not allowing enough pellets to feed into the auger.

Not really sure where it is, I didn't see anything in the manual about it and the dealer pre-burned the stove so their was pellets in the hopper. So if it is located in their, maybe that is why I cant see it?

ok, I took some pellets out and I'm guessing that is the auger cover plate. Looks like it is letting plenty of pellets in.

Attachments

• coverplate.jpg
    coverplate.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 283
Just a couple of dumb things to rule them out.

1. Is the unit dropping pellets during the startup at a regular rate and running the auger almost the entire time?
2. What heat level do you have selected (lit up when feed and combustion trim not pressed)
3. Did you start with a handful of pellets already inside of the burnpot?
4. Are all of your doors closed and latched? I know mine gets the big lazy flame and will go out if you leave the ash door open too long ( empty ashes while she's going...stupid insert has a small ash pan)
5. Check the venting for plugs. Bird's nest, volley ball, grapefruit, or the installer's t-shirt. I would say ash but it's a new install. Give it a check just to make sure.

Some things you already may have figured out. Blinking #3 means no proof of flame. Turn it off then back on it will try to start again. The feed trim is the auger fine adjustment. The light that is NOT lit is what you are setting it to. The same is true for the combustion air fine adjustment. You will not fix your issue with these settings. These are fine adjustments only in my experience. If you think it is starving for air go ahead and open up the damper almost all the way and give her a shot. You really should get a mag gauge and set it but if it doesn't light there is no way to do that. Try throwing in a handful or two of pellets before starting the lighting sequence and see if you get a big flame that dies down and eventually goes out. That will help you determine if it's a feed issue or an air issue. Unburnt pellets when it goes out is an air issue. No pellets when it goes out is a feed issue. Hope this helps. There are plenty of other more knowledgeable guys on here than I am but I thought I'd try to contribute something instead of lurking all the time...

JGrizz said:
Just a couple of dumb things to rule them out.

1. Is the unit dropping pellets during the startup at a regular rate and running the auger almost the entire time?
2. What heat level do you have selected (lit up when feed and combustion trim not pressed)
3. Did you start with a handful of pellets already inside of the burnpot?
4. Are all of your doors closed and latched? I know mine gets the big lazy flame and will go out if you leave the ash door open too long ( empty ashes while she's going...stupid insert has a small ash pan)
5. Check the venting for plugs. Bird's nest, volley ball, grapefruit, or the installer's t-shirt. I would say ash but it's a new install. Give it a check just to make sure.

Some things you already may have figured out. Blinking #3 means no proof of flame. Turn it off then back on it will try to start again. The feed trim is the auger fine adjustment. The light that is NOT lit is what you are setting it to. The same is true for the combustion air fine adjustment. You will not fix your issue with these settings. These are fine adjustments only in my experience. If you think it is starving for air go ahead and open up the damper almost all the way and give her a shot. You really should get a mag gauge and set it but if it doesn't light there is no way to do that. Try throwing in a handful or two of pellets before starting the lighting sequence and see if you get a big flame that dies down and eventually goes out. That will help you determine if it's a feed issue or an air issue. Unburnt pellets when it goes out is an air issue. No pellets when it goes out is a feed issue. Hope this helps. There are plenty of other more knowledgeable guys on here than I am but I thought I'd try to contribute something instead of lurking all the time...

By auger I meant the stirrer in the burnpot. Not the feed auger. But that should be going too during startup.

I did throw in a handful of pellets in during start up. I did try the damper in both positions. The pellets seem to be all burning up too. The stove is currently starting up at # 2

Try shutting the stove down. Unplugging it. Wait a few minutes. Then set the switch to Manual, and restart.

Also, remember that pellet will not drop if the hopper lid is open. There is a safety switch that will trip if lid is open. One time it stuck on me even with the lid closed and no pellets dropped. Had to manually tighten the lock nut on the switch. The switch is located on the lower right corner. See if the lock nut is loose.

Lower right corner of the hopper opening, i should specify.

vinny11950 said:
Try shutting the stove down. Unplugging it. Wait a few minutes. Then set the switch to Manual, and restart.

Also, remember that pellet will not drop if the hopper lid is open. There is a safety switch that will trip if lid is open. One time it stuck on me even with the lid closed and no pellets dropped. Had to manually tighten the lock nut on the switch. The switch is located on the lower right corner. See if the lock nut is loose.

Just did that. Stove seems to be running like a champ now. Weird. Gonna let it burn and cure the paint. Thanks fellas.

Great!! Glad its up and running. Enjoy the heat.

Now you have to get some pics up :)

Ok something must be wrong. Just ran great for several minutes, then the fire started dying down again. It has to be a pressure issue. Also, I am noticing very light smoke leaking out the top and right upper side. At first I thought it might be the paint getting hot, because it is letting off a strong odor. I don't really know if it is that or exhaust. I can't see how it could be exhaust.

chanlon1974 said:
Ok something must be wrong. Just ran great for several minutes, then the fire started dying down again. It has to be a pressure issue. Also, I am noticing very light smoke leaking out the top and right upper side. At first I thought it might be the paint getting hot, because it is letting off a strong odor. I don't really know if it is that or exhaust. I can't see how it could be exhaust.

Now I hope I can post, last night I was blocked and didn't get a chance.

Is the jumper between the thermostat terminals on the control board still attached or is it not there?

SmokeyTheBear said:
chanlon1974 said:

Is the jumper between the thermostat terminals on the control board still attached or is it not there?

Same here I couldn't post last night either! Luckily flyin and vinny covered what I was thinking.

If the stoves in manual, the jumper shouldn't matter. He mentioned the damper and trying in both position's. The position's are wide open and fully close. Wide open will burn up most any pellet too quickly. The damper needs to be set with the magnahelic gauge. Or to get by for now. Set it to fully closed and slowly open it to where the pellets just start to wiggle around.

Also pellet quality, Do you know what pellets the dealer used to test the stove with? I'd opt to something in your stash as your going to need to set it to them anyway!

SmokeyTheBear said:
chanlon1974 said:

I don't see any jumpers, but I'm not even sure if Im looking at the right spot. I took that right side panel off where the fuses are. Is that where I am supposed to be looking?

jtakeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
chanlon1974 said:

Same here I couldn't post last night either! Luckily flyin and vinny covered what I was thinking.

If the stoves in manual, the jumper shouldn't matter. He mentioned the damper and trying in both position's. The position's are wide open and fully close. Wide open will burn up most any pellet too quickly. The damper needs to be set with the magnahelic gauge. Or to get by for now. Set it to fully closed and slowly open it to where the pellets just start to wiggle around.

Also pellet quality, Do you know what pellets the dealer used to test the stove with? I'd opt to something in your stash as your going to need to set it to them anyway!

Yeah I couldn't post either. I have no idea what he used, but I took most of them out and have hammers in there now. The glass is getting a light brown film on it too if that helps. Running lean?

chanlon1974 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
chanlon1974 said:

I don't see any jumpers, but I'm not even sure if Im looking at the right spot. I took that right side panel off where the fuses are. Is that where I am supposed to be looking?

Usually there is a blue block with two screws in it.

The jumper would be held by those two screws and actually be plugged into the side of that blue block.

Jay, I'm going by the manual copy I have and it talks about a jumper.

As for the block last night I likely didn't stick around long enough. They must have been playing with the site.

ETA: The stove came out of startup and settled into firing rate #1.

ok, there is a small blue block with two screws in it. There are two red wires running out of that block to the back of the stove for the thermostat hook up.

Status
Not open for further replies.