Fired up the Buck 91 today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Tackett

Oct 17, 2012
Waynesburg, Kentucky
for the first time. I fired it up outside for the paint cure. This stove is AWESOME. Can't wait until I get it installed in my house on Sunday. I started a small fire in bypass and continued to burn it until the Cat thermometer read 600 degrees. This cured all the paint on the chimney pipe. I then shut the bypass and the Cat kicked in. This is my first Cat stove, so I was shocked at the way it burned. The Cat thermometer shot up to 1500 degrees settled down to 1200 and just cruised. I loved watching the gases burn in the stove, there were flames dancing all around even where there was no wood. Then it calmed down to a smolder and was barely noticeable it was burning at all, but that Cat thermometer sat right at 1200. I was quite pleased. Can't believe how much wood this thing is going to save me.
Compared to my old stove this thing is a Mercedes and my stove is a Yugo, no offense to the Yugo owners out there.

Congrats ! Yugos got banned in MI because one blew off of the Mackinaw Bridge.

Pete

Cool! What was the old stove?

Ever seen Drowning Mona?

Old stove was an Heatilator Arrow 1490.

Oh yeah, know what they call 4 door Yugos??

Wego

Glad you like your stove David. The Buck 91 sounds like a very good stove. I bet it will do a good job for you. Last week I was having a heck of a time trying to get comfortable getting my cat stove to do like I thought it should. I figured out what the problem was.( Me ) After looking back thru this forum and reading all the heplful info about cat stove I've got a good handle on it now. Your temps sound about like mine. And the cat probe will cruise at 1200 for a several hours. I know you can't hardly wait until Sunday to put it in place.

Never seen Drowning Mona.

Lots of Yugos in that movie.

Investigator talking to the mechanic:

"So I figure the perp used some kind of sharp instrument... a screwdriver, an awl, what have you... took it, drove it through the tank with a hammer. See this?"
"This here?"
"Fetzer valve."
"I'm not familiar with the fetzer."
"Nor should you be. Serves no purpose."
"So what's the problem?"
"Somebody poked a hole in that too."

Sittin' in front of my cat stove on a relatively mild night now. Have you gotten to try your hand at burning it slow and low, yet? I can keep the stovetop under 400F for hours, on occasion, but other times have issues with back-puffing when I burn too awful low. My wood supply is less than ideal, though...

edit... duh, just re-read and saw the comment about burning outdoors. Install on Sunday. Awesome! I gotta learn from you about doing the break-in fires outdoors. I'm probably 2 - 3 weeks away from moving my second Firelight 12 indoors. Time to think about some outdoor break-in fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.