1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fired up the Buck 91 today...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by David Tackett, Nov 23, 2012.

1. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    for the first time. I fired it up outside for the paint cure. This stove is AWESOME. Can't wait until I get it installed in my house on Sunday. I started a small fire in bypass and continued to burn it until the Cat thermometer read 600 degrees. This cured all the paint on the chimney pipe. I then shut the bypass and the Cat kicked in. This is my first Cat stove, so I was shocked at the way it burned. The Cat thermometer shot up to 1500 degrees settled down to 1200 and just cruised. I loved watching the gases burn in the stove, there were flames dancing all around even where there was no wood. Then it calmed down to a smolder and was barely noticeable it was burning at all, but that Cat thermometer sat right at 1200. I was quite pleased. Can't believe how much wood this thing is going to save me.
    Compared to my old stove this thing is a Mercedes and my stove is a Yugo, no offense to the Yugo owners out there.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Congrats ! Yugos got banned in MI because one blew off of the Mackinaw Bridge.

Pete
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Cool! What was the old stove?

Ever seen Drowning Mona?
  4. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Old stove was an Heatilator Arrow 1490.

Oh yeah, know what they call 4 door Yugos??

Wego
  5. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Never seen Drowning Mona.
  6. coltfever

coltfever Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    Glad you like your stove David. The Buck 91 sounds like a very good stove. I bet it will do a good job for you. Last week I was having a heck of a time trying to get comfortable getting my cat stove to do like I thought it should. I figured out what the problem was.( Me ) After looking back thru this forum and reading all the heplful info about cat stove I've got a good handle on it now. Your temps sound about like mine. And the cat probe will cruise at 1200 for a several hours. I know you can't hardly wait until Sunday to put it in place.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Lots of Yugos in that movie.

Investigator talking to the mechanic:

"So I figure the perp used some kind of sharp instrument... a screwdriver, an awl, what have you... took it, drove it through the tank with a hammer. See this?"
    "This here?"
    "Fetzer valve."
    "I'm not familiar with the fetzer."
    "Nor should you be. Serves no purpose."
    "So what's the problem?"
    "Somebody poked a hole in that too."

Sittin' in front of my cat stove on a relatively mild night now. Have you gotten to try your hand at burning it slow and low, yet? I can keep the stovetop under 400F for hours, on occasion, but other times have issues with back-puffing when I burn too awful low. My wood supply is less than ideal, though...

edit... duh, just re-read and saw the comment about burning outdoors. Install on Sunday. Awesome! I gotta learn from you about doing the break-in fires outdoors. I'm probably 2 - 3 weeks away from moving my second Firelight 12 indoors. Time to think about some outdoor break-in fires.
  8. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I am installing it this Sunday. Have only burned it the one time outside.