Fired up the Greenwood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I fired up the Greenwood this afternoon. I have been waiting for it to get cold enough, we have just been using a Lopi Liberty that I installed in our family room about a month ago. I made a few changes to the Greenwood system. I installed an air scoop and another bleeder, changed my heat exchanger from a 20 plate to a 30 plate. I also abandoned the 2 radiant zones that were sucking so much heat and installed CI radiators in those loops. I hope these changes will cut down on my firewood. I used about 8 cord last year. I have about 9 cord up this year that is better wood.

Was the 8 cords all used in the greenwood? What size of home do you have? We are at 1700 sq' and only used about 5 cord. It seems like there ae always improvements that can be made but taking a step up in wood quality is one of the best first moves that can be made and this year we are looking to depend on white oak and hickory as the mainstay of our wood supply. I get about 2 more hours per load compared to black walnut. Ofcourse we will have to see what the cold weather does to the btu change but we are hoping it wil be in our favor. So far we have used about 1 1/2 cord since August for dhw and what heat we needed sicne then.

just seen a GW up close and personal. But i did not see the model #. This beast was huge! He burns 16+ cords a year. Big hunting/snowmobling lodge. before he got the GW, he was using 21 cord plus 1500gals of oil. Now using 16+ cord and 100 gals of oil. He's happy.

I have about 2200sf with lots of windows. That included the familiy room stove. The wood I had last yr was not great, kind of punky. This year I have birch and maple that is much better. I just found some oak that I can get for $30.00/cord, it is just hauled to a landing, I have to block it and haul it. The radiant zones that I abandoned would call for heat constantly.

Check this link out, Cave is right on. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/heating_value_wood

The most important thing about your boilers preformance is what you feed it. If you look at the chart and compair say Red oak to Aspen. It would take nearly 40% more wood (in volume) to create the same amout of btu's. Now I'm not sure how they measure the output on these things but it does make a lot of sence that your boiler was not producing enough BTU's to handle some infloors if you were not burning a premuin fuel. And my infloor sucks hot water like it's going out of style.

Status
Not open for further replies.