Fired up the isle Royale !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Ok so I fired up the Isle Royale!! What an animal of a stove!!! The only prob I have, I talked to the tech's at Quadra fire and I specifically asked them about R rating for the floor. They said there is no R rating so I told him that if there was no R rating I would then put 1/2 durock over the plywood floor and then 1/2 black granite. He told me that would be fine. About 2 hrs into my burn you can not lay ur hand on the granite underneath the stove. It is really hot!!!! Is that normal ? Wondering if he steered me in the wrong direction telling me there is no R rating for the floor or is the 1/2 durock and 1/2 granite is ok and getting that hot is normal. Thanks. Sorry for the abbreviations typing from my phone.

Chrism said:
Ok so I fired up the Isle Royale!! What an animal of a stove!!! The only prob I have, I talked to the tech's at Quadra fire and I specifically asked them about R rating for the floor. They said there is no R rating so I told him that if there was no R rating I would then put 1/2 durock over the plywood floor and then 1/2 black granite. He told me that would be fine. About 2 hrs into my burn you can not lay ur hand on the granite underneath the stove. It is really hot!!!! Is that normal ? Wondering if he steered me in the wrong direction telling me there is no R rating for the floor or is the 1/2 durock and 1/2 granite is ok and getting that hot is normal. Thanks. Sorry for the abbreviations typing from my phone.

Get an IR thermometer and see what the temp is.

I'm with BBAR.

Just to double check, the stove has everything installed as it came from the factory? This is a new unit and not a used unit?

This comes directly from the manual:

Page 11

A. Hearth Protection Requirements
FLOOR PROTECTION: Floor protector must be noncombustible
material, extending beneath heater and to the
front, sides and rear as indicated. The fl oor must be noncombustible
or otherwise adequately protected from radiant
heat given off by the unit and from sparks and falling embers.

As it reads here, I see the tech as being correct in no mention of r-value, simply a non-combustible surface. If it's more than about 175-180 under the stove, then I would start to get concerned.

pen

The floor under my IR doesn't get nearly that hot.......

NP

Nonprophet said:

NP

How hot is that? Got a number?

pen

Without an IR thermometer, 'feel' can be deceiving.

Kind of related; my father in-law's hearth pad under his Heritage is a lot hotter than my hearth pad that is under my Heritage. And I run my Heritage hotter than he does. Can't explain it. I've even hit it with my IR thermometer and confirmed it (the exact numbers escape me at the moment).

Its a 2003 stove from what I understand the stove hasn't changed at all in design. I can hold my hand on the granite for about 5 seconds then I have to take it off. I took my sons ear thermometer placed it on there thinking it would give me a digital reading and it blinked and said HI!! Lol

Yea, you need an upgrade

7fac8126-c25a-44cc-85e3-4e9103b0a587.jpg

Got a candy thermometer to lay under there? That might at least get you in the ball park. Or a probe thermometer w/ a lead for measuring meat temps in a smoker/grill/oven/etc?

pen

Chrism said:
Its a 2003 stove from what I understand the stove hasn't changed at all in design. I can hold my hand on the granite for about 5 seconds then I have to take it off. I took my sons ear thermometer placed it on there thinking it would give me a digital reading and it blinked and said HI!! Lol

Yeah, the ear thermometer isn't going to help. %-P

I'm guessing the temp is south of 150°.

Ok guess I forgot I had a wireless meat thermometer for bbq ing 130 degrees under my stove guess I'm a sissy!!! Lol

Welcome to the big mean heating machine.

Chrism said:
Ok guess I forgot I had a wireless meat thermometer for bbq ing 130 degrees under my stove guess I'm a sissy!!! Lol

Ha!

Actually, I've done the same thing.

I'm running my stove at 250 degrees and its friggin 81.1 degrees in my house WOW !!!! ISLE ROYALE ROCKS!!!!!!

Chrism said:
I'm running my stove at 250 degrees and its friggin 81.1 degrees in my house WOW !!!! ISLE ROYALE ROCKS!!!!!!

Welcome to the "Holy crap I'm really happy with my stove purchase" zone.

You're not kiddin happy !!
Lol

pen said:
Nonprophet said:

NP

How hot is that? Got a number?

pen

We have a marble hearth pad, and, we have a clay brick under each leg to elevate our IR (easier to operate--not for clearances...) and right now with the the stove going for 4+ hours and a 550 stove top temp the marble tiles are reading 110 or so, definitely not too hot to touch at all....

NP

At 130F you are in fine shape. After a bed of ashes has been established, I think you will find it to be even low. Ain't nothin to worry about.

Welcome to the Isle Royale club of "holy crap that thing can put out some heat". Wait till you need the heat and crank that biotch to about 650 stove top temps. It will have you believing in Satan. Click the fan onto about 30-50% and get out the sun glasses and froo-froo drinks with umbrellas.

That thing ain't no sissy parlor stove. :coolsmile:

Hey jags I was burnin it at 250 300 degrees last night I was afraid I was burnin it too cold but I went outside n looked at the chimney stack and no smoke was comin out so my settings were perfect is that ok to burn it at that temp?? Will I have a creosote problem??

Chrism said:
Hey jags I was burnin it at 250 300 degrees last night I was afraid I was burnin it too cold but I went outside n looked at the chimney stack and no smoke was comin out so my settings were perfect is that ok to burn it at that temp?? Will I have a creosote problem??

Was this a few hours after loading the stove? If so that's fine. If this is with wood that has only been in the stove for an hour or so, that's too low and you should have seen smoke.

Once the wood is mostly to the coaling stage, the temp is not very important. It is during the active burning phase where you want to keep things up.

pen

Chrism said:

Where were you reading the temps from? Creosote is a concern for the stack, not really the stove. If you maintain proper stack temp, you will be ok. Your numbers sound low to me. I have no idea how the heck you can burn that stove and maintain 300F. I would recommend a stove top of 500+ during the initial off gas stage of the burn. After it coals - it up to you.

(Dang Pen, your good. Almost sounds like I wrote it. :) ).

I have all the air feeds on the ir open for the first 20 min to let it get rippin then I close the flaps in the back of the stove and lowered it down with the air adjustment infront after that's I went n looked outside and not much smoke was comin out the stack so I was guessin my adjustments were right .that's what I want right is for no smoke to be coming out the chimney cap that means the stove is workin the way it should be ????

Yep, no smoke is a good indicator of a clean burn. But from what you just explained, my stove would be at about 550+ at that time. Where do you measure the temp from?

Don't laugh at me lol a wireless meat thermometer till I get a stove thermometer, any suggestions on what stove thermometer to get ?

Chrism said:
Don't laugh at me lol a wireless meat thermometer till I get a stove thermometer, any suggestions on what stove thermometer to get ?

Not laughing, but I doubt if you are getting an accurate representation from it. A good ol Rutland will serve you well. Basically any of them will. Be aware that there are actually 3 styles of thermos. A surface thermo for single wall pipe. A probe thermo for double wall pipe, and a stove top surface thermo. Both surface thermos are pretty close to the same thing with the exception of the temp ranges.

Edit: personally, I would recommend both a thermo for the stove top and one for the stack. It can help "fine tune" your burn.

What's the temp I want for the stove top and the stack ???

Status
Not open for further replies.