Fired up the Jotul F 400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cycloxer said:
As for the top, it is only 2 bolts to remove. One thing I figured out is that if you get with careful maneuvering, you can remove the secondary air chamber assembly through the front door without unbolting anything. Some engineer used his head when he designed this thing. That allows you full access to the flue pipe for cleaning without removing a single bolt. You could place a small cardboard box up there to capture any soot and debris and then go up to the roof and do a top-down brush job. Never have to move the stove. Piece of cake.

Does anyone know if the Oslo secondary air chamber assembly can be removed in this same manner for cleaning?

Shari

Does anyone know if the Oslo secondary air chamber assembly can be removed in this same manner for cleaning?

Shari
----------

I have only been burning my new Oslo for 2 weeks. I haven't done this yet, but when I clean it I will 'simply' remove the oval plate from the top of the stove. You just push it up from inside the stove and take it out. Hopefully, this will give me good access to remove the debris after cleaning the chimney.

If your oval plate doesn't just push out, your installer didn't remove the two nuts off the bolts that hold it in place (for shipping). It's very easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

cycloxer said:
Sorry - the correct firebox dims are 20.6" W x 12.7" D x 12" H. The height is an average at the mid-point of the firebox as the height tapers down from front-rear. Regardless, it always measures to around 1.75 cu. ft.

As for the top, it is only 2 bolts to remove. One thing I figured out is that if you get with careful maneuvering, you can remove the secondary air chamber assembly through the front door without unbolting anything. Some engineer used his head when he designed this thing. That allows you full access to the flue pipe for cleaning without removing a single bolt. You could place a small cardboard box up there to capture any soot and debris and then go up to the roof and do a top-down brush job. Never have to move the stove. Piece of cake.

Well I have been taking things apart since I was 5. Some things never change. I can usually get them back together the right way with enough beer...

Could you expound on the removal of the secondary air chamber assembly, please? I foresee someday pulling mine out for a check, and seeing how you have done it already...!

How difficult was it to re-install, especially getting the gasket in place?

Thanks!

It takes about 30 seconds to remove and you don't even need any tools. You rotate the two side clips forward. (See yellow arrow in picture.) Jotul says you can use a hammer to knock them free if they are stuck. Pulling down on the secondary air chamber relieves some of the pressure and makes this easier. I did mine with my bare hands. Now the secondary air chamber assembly is free. The gaskets are cemented to this assembly, so they will come out with it and you don't have to re-position them. You slightly tilt up the assembly to one side so that you can jog it free of the shelf that it sits on. Then it can come out the front door one side first. The maneuvering is a bit tricky, but I did it myself when I reassembled the stove w/ the top already in place. Also, the baffle plate sits on top of this resting freely between its guides. Depending on the size of your hands you can put this on before or after reassmbly. Next time my stove is cooled down I will try to take a picture mid point so that you can see how I maneuvered.

It's kind of like working on a german car - complicated and a bit tricky, but intuitive.

How hot are you running your Castine? I got mine up to 700 last night as I wanted to see what it could do and then backed it down below 600. Was running pretty good around 550. 600+ seemed to be too much, of course it was in the 60's up here yesterday. I'm also runnin the EUR plate.

Attachments

• Secondary Air Chamber.jpg
    Secondary Air Chamber.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 584
cycloxer said:
It's kind of like working on a german car - complicated and a bit tricky, but intuitive.

What great description! I totally agree!

Looking forward to those pics of the baffle removal. That'll make my life a lot easier in the spring/summer when I clean the stove and chimney. I was thiking I was going to have to pull the interior pipe and possibly move the stove. Removing the baffle would make life 10x easier.

Also, I did some more research. In Europe there is a regulation that the top of the stove must be free for cleaning. So in Europe they remove the two bolts that hold down the top cover (Jotul actually calls them shipping bolts) and it simply rests on the top of the stove under its own weight. I wouldn't remove them as a tighter stove is better, but Jotul has designed the stove such that the top plate is also easily removed via two 10mm bolts. They are readily accessible from inside the stove once the secondary air chamber is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.