FireEX new chimney-fire fighting product.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope but that is amazing if it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and happy new year
Pete

I wish they did a better test on it.
Letting some flames shoot out the chimney, then toss it in. maybe they the pipe get rod hot first too.
Looks like they just used a ton of single wall for the test.

fespo said:
Has anyone see these fire stoppers? I was at Menards and seen this over by there wood stovers. Frank

http://www.meecomfg.com/FireEx/index.php

I like the simplicity of it.. I bought a Chim-Fex at Walmart on clearance for $5.00 but I like the fact that you don't need to light this product.. How much do they get for them?

Ray

raybonz said:
fespo said:
Has anyone see these fire stoppers? I was at Menards and seen this over by there wood stovers. Frank

I like the simplicity of it.. I bought a Chim-Fex at Walmart on clearance for $5.00 but I like the fact that you don't need to light this product.. How much do they get for them?

Ray

Somebody on eBay is selling the stuff for twenty-bucks shipping included.

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
fespo said:

Ray

Somebody on eBay is selling the stuff for twenty-bucks shipping included.

Expensive for a little packet but if it works and you need it worth every penny.. At least I have the Chim-Fex as a just-in-case item..

Ray

$21 - $22 for one packet. Menards is changing over to ALL their products. Happy New year and be safe. Frank

An old time chimney fire killer is a plastic or paper bag filled with baking soda - a couple of pounds at least. Throw on the fire and shut everything down, just like this product. I'm wondering if the contents are anything more than baking soda. You could certainly buy a lot of that for $20-22.

fraxinus said:
An old time chimney fire killer is a plastic or paper bag filled with baking soda - a couple of pounds at least. Throw on the fire and shut everything down, just like this product. I'm wondering if the contents are anything more than baking soda. You could certainly buy a lot of that for $20-22.

That works to smother a fire in a pan but I doubt it will do anything more than make a mess when the fire could be up the chimney 20' from the stove..

Ray

raybonz said:
fraxinus said:

That works to smother a fire in a pan but I doubt it will do anything more than make a mess when the fire could be up the chimney 20' from the stove..

Ray

If you used enough baking soda, I think it would work. The heat of the fire would release a large amount of CO2. This would replace the oxygen and snuff out the fire in the enclosed space of stove and chimney. You can smother a campfire or fire in a pan with dirt, salt, sand, etc., but it's not the same process; it's mechanical - just like puttng a tightly fitting lid on the pan - not chemical.

fraxinus said:
raybonz said:
fraxinus said:

Ray

If you used enough baking soda, I think it would work. The heat of the fire would release a large amount of CO2. This would replace the oxygen and snuff out the fire in the enclosed space of stove and chimney. You can smother a campfire or fire in a pan with dirt, salt, sand, etc., but it's not the same process; it's mechanical - just like puttng a tightly fitting lid on the pan - not chemical.

When the poop hits the propeller I want to use what I know works not what I think might work.. The $5.00 ChimFex is a small price to pay for peace of mind, they normally sell for around $30.00 I think so I bought 3 and gave 2 to my brother in law, one for each stove as a house "cooling" gift and hope he never needs to use them! If I didn't have the ChimFex I'd pay the $20.00 for the FireEx and I also have a fire extinguisher for the wood stove and one for the kitchen..

Ray

raybonz said:
fraxinus said:
[quote author="raybonz" date="1325440405
When the poop hits the propeller I want to use what I know works not what I think might work.. The $5.00 ChimFex is a small price to pay for peace of mind, they normally sell for around $30.00 I think so I bought 3 and gave 2 to my brother in law, one for each stove as a house "cooling" gift and hope he never needs to use them! If I didn't have the ChimFex I'd pay the $20.00 for the FireEx and I also have a fire extinguisher for the wood stove and one for the kitchen..

Ray

Me, too. That's why I do have a Chimex, fire extinguisher and a plastic bag containing 5 lbs. of baking soda which now about 25 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.