Firefox and Hotmail at Odds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Morning all.

I recently switched from IE to Firefox as a primary browser due to some issues.

Everything seems to be going smoothly with one exception: I cannot go to www.hotmail.com

Now, before you bust me for a hotmail address, I've had this one since before they were owned by microsoft.

What gives? In doing some searching, I am finding bunches of people with the same issue but cannot seem to find a resolution that will work.

The computer that I have firefox on with XP is the one that will not allow me to go to hotmail.

The computer with vista has no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

pen

I don't have a hotmail account, but I can go to the hotmail page. The page has "Windows Live" on it. I use Firefox and have XP too. Could it be a firewall setting perhaps?

Thanks for the response. I tried turning windows firewall and my own firewall off and the same result.

Not sure what it's problem is. Probably just a setting somewhere that I am unfamiliar with.

pen

Quite a few Microsoft specific sites do not play well with other browsers. This might be the case with Windows Live and Hotmail, but I have never tested it. It is probably time to kill the Hotmail account anyway; isn't it a complete spam funnel by now anyway?

Sealcove said:
Quite a few Microsoft specific sites do not play well with other browsers. This might be the case with Windows Live and Hotmail, but I have never tested it. It is probably time to kill the Hotmail account anyway; isn't it a complete spam funnel by now anyway?

surprisingly no. There is some spam but certainly not any amount that is not manageable. I would hate to think of how many different sites I couldn't get into when I forget my passwords if I changed that email!

Stuck in my old ways I suppose.

pen

It's got to be something on your pc. I just tried hotmail from a Vista box with FF version 3 & also from an XP system with FF version 2.
No problem on either system.
Al

A person from another forum I belong to recommending doing a searching and installing the mozilla add-on called " ie tab"

Apparently this allows certain websites to open within mozilla using IE. (if that makes sense)

I went here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Installed the add-on and now there are no issues.

Thought I'd share for those of you who were kind enough to give suggestions and advice.

Thanks again,

pen

I'm using FF3 on Linux (yeah, MS probably hates me!). www.hotmail.com redirects me to the Microsoft Live! login page, which is normal. Microsoft is using their Live! ID as a universal login for all of their Live! services.

I was able to create a Live! ID and login to a hotmail account without any problems.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.