Firelight F600 Firelight CB problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koavt

Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
VT
I was wondering if any one has had problems with the door latch on the F600. When I try to tighten the doors the latch will spin around and not allow the doors to seal. After several attempts I get a reasonable seal of the doors. I have replaced the door gaskets and the latch assembly. It works fine for a week. Then eventually the latch mechanism starts spinning around again. I noticed that there is a spring inside the latch assembly. It always compresses after a few days, and and the problem continues. I have tech service from my dealer coming to take a look. However this has been a problem for a long time. Has anyone had similar problems with the hex nut latch on their stoves?

Thanks
koavt

I had a similar problem, but on a completely different brand...and it is a pellet stove.

I have seen a lot of similar problems over the years. I suspect it is easily repairable with the right parts - or perhaps even without parts. It is possible that the inner cam is too small (was ground down too far after casting) or something like that.

Let us know what the answer turns out to be. You should, of course, insist that it seal as per the factory spec.....

Hi, I don't have an answer to your problem, but when I was looking at stoves I was considering the F 600. I really liked the stove but what changed my mind was the double doors and the handle deal. I decided on the F 500 and am very happy with it as it heats my 2100 sq. ft. home really well. The F 600 would have been too much stove.

Jim

AFAIK the latch assembly is similar to (if not the same as) the latch on the F500 and F400. It's a simple assembly should just work, year after year.

One thing to check would be the door handle's allen set screw to see if the handle is slipping on the latch bolt shaft. Another thing is to be sure there is a washer between the latch and the spring.

Thanks for everyones input. The doors on the 600 are quite different than the doors on the 500/400. They are double doors with a permanent handle as someone pointed out. You use a removable wooden handle with a hex driver to seal the doors on the F600. I did check to see if there was a washer included in the latch assembly. There is no washer with the original parts, nor the replacement I received from Jotul. Hmmm. Maybe with out the washer the spring prematurely compresses, and you can not tighten the doors once the spring has been permanently compressed. I will order a new spring and make sure a correct washer is included.

Thanks,

KOAVT

That sounds worth checking. I understand that the doors are different, but the latch assembly construction seems similar. A washer is necessary to provide slippage between the fixed surface of the door and the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.