Fireplace and woodstove in the same flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbassemier

Sep 7, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am a chimney sweep with a question i cant find a legal answer to. I am doing a chimney inspection for a customer who has sold there home and i am peeing in the water. On inspection i found a free standing stove in a basement connected to a masonry flue. On the main floor i found a factory built fireplace also conncected to the same flue. it is a empress 722. My questions is an Empress 722 meant to be tied to a masonry flue or is it air cooled also can you have both in one chimney

From NFPA 2.11
Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances
2006 Edition

7.2.14 Multiple Flues.
7.2.14.4 Multiple flues in one chimney shall not be permitted for medium-heat appliances.

I dunno if code was different back in the 1980's but my house has a vaguely similar setup and it was built in 1981; 12x12 large masonry clay liner with two woodstoves venting into it (8" thimble upstairs, 6" thimble downstairs, both have usable woodstoves). This is the worst because there's usually no easy way to line the chimney without removing one of the devices and leaving a big ugly space in the house. I haven't done anything about my setup yet and possibly won't before I sell it in a few years (fingers crossed market conditions are better).

I am not familiar with the fireplace you are talking about, but a factory made fireplace requires a factory made chimney and no two solid fuel appliances can share the same flu. How did they connect the fireplace to the flue anyway?

The NFPA 2010 does not seem to address this anymore. I will check an older book. Also another chimneys forum seems to think the fireplace was designed for just such use.

JBIII said:
The NFPA 2010 does not seem to address this anymore. I will check an older book. Also another chimneys forum seems to think the fireplace was designed for just such use.

It is the same in NFPA 211 2010. Same section 7.2.14.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.