Fireplace Clearances Question for 1920's fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tom.binkowski

Aug 17, 2015
Pittsburgh
I live in Pittsburgh and have researched fireplace inserts until I am blue in the face! I really want to buy a fireplace insert but the costs to have them professionally installed will run me at about $3500-$5000. I recently spotted a Jotul c450 Kennebec that is about 2 years old on Craigslist and will fit my fireplace dimensions. I have talked to a few installers and they said they could install my insert for about $1500 including the chimney liner. I have been researching clearance to combustibles and I am very confused.

My fireplace is 30x30 (height and width) and 16 inches deep. The hearth extends out 18 inches. It is a ceramic tile hearth.

Question: If I install the Jotul, will I need to extend my hearth out? Do I need to redo my hearth because of the Ceramic tile's r value?

I am comfortable with the process of installing an insulated liner, but the whole idea of ripping up the tile makes me a little nervous. On top of that we have a beautiful ornate mantle.

Maybe not, can you post a picture of the fireplace and hearth?

Attached. Thank you for responding

Attachments

• IMG_20160224_125746940_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160224_125746940_HDR.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 375
The Kennebec can be installed nearly flush or extend onto the hearth several inches. The more it extends the better it will heat, at least w/ the fans off. Can't tell from the pic what is surrounding the tile but looks like carpet.

I would install the unit extended as far as possible and use a burn proof hearth rug during the burning season if you don't have the required 16" of hearth. If that's carpet I would use a hearth rug either way.

It looks like some additional protection will be needed, particularly because the hearth is recessed into the floor. Some options are a hearth pad or cutting back the floor an additional tile width and adding another tile (or contrasting tile) to extend the hearth. Also, double-check mantle clearances to the sides and top of the insert.

So after thinking through this I was wondering if I would have any issues placing a Jotul f100 directly inside my fireplace. Would I still need to extend my hearth? We really just want to burn wood, but I am not sure that we have many options. I would prefer to self install an insulated liner. I am trying to get around having to add tile, or get rid of my mantle. Any help or alternative thoughts would be appreciated.

So after thinking through this I was wondering if I would have any issues placing a Jotul f100 directly inside my fireplace. Would I still need to extend my hearth? We really just want to burn wood, but I am not sure that we have many options. I would prefer to self install an insulated liner. I am trying to get around having to add tile, or get rid of my mantle. Any help or alternative thoughts would be appreciated.
There's no way around not meeting the clearances. The manual will give all the required info to determine this. Those look like 8" tiles. If I read the manual correctly you need 18" of hearth I front of the stove with an rvalue of 2.92.

In the US the hearth extension requirement is 16" in front of the door. If you have the depth in the fireplace to achieve that requirement then putting the stove in the fireplace may be an option. Before committing I would also look at the fit of the F3CB which takes a much longer split.

In the US the hearth extension requirement is 16" in front of the door. If you have the depth in the fireplace to achieve that requirement then putting the stove in the fireplace may be an option. Before committing I would also look at the fit of the F3CB which takes a much longer split.
Normally I would concur, but I can find nothing in the manual that differentiates US and Canada. It just says 18".

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 11.13.05 AM.png