1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

fireplace design

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by green77, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green77

green77 New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I am looking for info about fireplace design. box sizes, flu sizes, what designs are more efficient? etc. this is for a new home and will not be used for the primary heat source. thanks for any info.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Nov 18, 2005
    Halifax, VA
    If you're going to go to the extreme of designing your own fireplace, you may as well do as Dylan said and get a Rumsford. The dimensions are already determined, and Rumsford fireplaces throw the most heat into the room of any open fireplace.

That said, I have a book around here with the fireplace math in it- If I can locate it later on tonight, I'll be certain to post up the ratios that must be followed.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

If the fire place is to be built with exposure to outside walls It will not make any difference designing it
    Might as well build a conventional one and suck the heat right out of your home. If in the interior, then
    the Rumford incorperating brick motar stone to create mass storage of heat makes more sense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.