Fireplace Efficiency Add-On?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

I have a manufactured fireplace about 20 yrs old and I normally burn about 2-3 cords a winter.
It helps lower the power bill & we enjoy atmosphere of a crackling fire.

I understand that 90% of most heat is lost up the chimney.
Give me some DIY ideas under $300-400 I could add to my fireplace to make it more efficient.
Blower? Firebacks?

Thanks,

Reggie

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do since the heat creates a loop (higher chimney draft) which then cycles to a higher fire which causes more air to be used to make the fire higher, replacement air comes from the outside into the home through cracks / holes / poor insulation and cools the house.
Best bet, since your burning a fairly serious amount of wood regularly, save your money, rip the old fire place out, replace with either an epa fireplace or gut the whole thing and install a free standing unit (more labor, less expense) or keep the fireplace as is and select a different area to install a free standing stove.

An insert that would go in it with a new liner would be way past your budget. You would first need to see if your zc fireplace can handle an insert if you go that route plan on spending more $$$$. Most just rip them out and do an alcove or replace with something like the Quadrafire 7100 if you can find a ZC.