Fireplace Flue Chase Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raya

Jan 8, 2008
NJ
I've got a factory-built fireplace in my family room. The flue is surrounded by an enclosure outside of my unit. I made a small opening in the wall above the fireplace for an HDTV installation and found that the interior wall of the enclosure (chase) was never insulated.

Apart from taking all of the wall board off and installing batt insulation inside of the studs, I'm wondering if I can blow in fiberglass to completely fill the area around the flue inside of the enclosure. All of the code(s)/discussions I've read talk about clearances around the flue for combustible materials. Fiberglass is non-combustible and the flue is at least a double-wall.

Is this type of insulation permitted? Has anyone done it before?Can anyone offer any insight or esperience with this?

Raya

Wood fireplace pipe needs a 2" AIR SPACE clearance all around it. You can't blow insulation in there unless you want to burn the house down.

Status
Not open for further replies.