Fireplace for 375 s.f. Tiny House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gouache23

Nov 10, 2014
Michigan
Several weeks ago I posted asking for suggestions for a wood stove for a 375 square foot tiny house.

But when I was at the cabin recently, I thought ... hmm ... wouldn't adding a fireplace instead make more sense ... ? Our square footage is at such a premium. It seems like we could preserve space by adding a fireplace instead, outside the current footprint of the house.

Thoughts?

not very efficient for heating.is this a hunting cabin? if it is I would want someting that would heat the place up fast.

It's just a recreation cabin. I'm more interested in the aesthetics of the fire than heating capability. The cabin has electric heat.

Same issues that a wood stove will present, but for space saving I can understand the logic. A fireplace will cost more to install, but could be a space saving solution. The BIS Tradition CE is a 2 cu ft unit. RSF Topaz is 2.1 cu ft. These are both good heating fireplaces that will help the place warm up quickly. If that is not important than a cheaper ZC fireplace or a real masonry one could do the job.

Because the place is so small, I don't think heating efficiency is very important. Any idea on what the cheapest solution might be ... ?

An electric fireplace or a propane direct vent.

I have a Lopi Answer. It is a small wood stove that is double-jacketed, so the clearance requirements are easier in a small space. You might be able to fit one of these in a corner for a lot less than the cost of building a masonry fireplace. For what it's worth, you could stick one of these in a masonry fireplace opening as well (I have done just that) provided it is tall enough and use a blower to get the heat out.

This stove is larger than you need for steady-state burning, but it would provide the ability to warm the cabin up when it is cold and/or heat a poorly insulated small space.

You may say that you would use the electric heat, but once you have a good woodstove that does the job, you will likely use that whenever you can.

Why not build an alcove on the outside of the footprint, insulate it real well, and put a stove in the chase?
A hell of a lot cheaper than building a fireplace just to put a stove or insert in.

Reactions: Rich2343
If you decide to go with masonry it sounds like a good application for a Rumford fireplace. Or as close to a Rumford design as one can build with today's damper systems. Call it a Rumford hybrid.

I guess I'm not sure why building an exterior space and putting a stove in it would be any cheaper than building an exterior space and putting a fireplace box in it ... ?

If you are going for cheap, you probably are correct. 36" ZCs are out there for under $400.

It's my understanding that fireplaces are big on ambiance, and not so great on heat. If you're going to go through the effort to have wood look/heat, might as well make it worthwhile? That's how I see things, maybe you see things different and that's okay too.

A small stove with a window would be nice as well. I have a small stove in our mobile home, and I tell you, (maybe I need a life) I love watching the fire and especially the secondary flames.

I would guess that the mobile has >3X the sq ftg.?

The exterior alcove build does not require masonry, only clearances to non-combustibles need be met.
To build an exterior or interior firebox, is much more expensive needing masonry. Unless your considering a zero clearance fireplace, then would be about same cost as an alcove, slightly more as the ZC fireplace will prolly cost more than a freestander. Some feel you will get better heat from a freestanding, choice is yours. Either way, building exterior of the footprint saves you your space.
Unless the exterior build is made from masonry, you won't be putting an insert into it.

She doesn't care about heat. A 2 cu ft EPA ZC is going to start around $3K. A standard builders ZC like a 36" Superior is only $400.

Might as well get a fake electric fireplace then. Would prolly heat that box better than a cheapo builder's grade ZC.
The OP asked about a wood stove, then fireplace. Does not sound like they know what they want yet.
Asked for options, and received some.
Up to the poster to decide what they want, how much they want to spend, and how much they want to waste or not.
I think along the lines of most heat bang for buck. That's just me though.
If they just want to see a fire, and save on space, get a fireplace CD for your DVD player and watch the TV. Viewing & space issue solved.

Reactions: northwinds
I suggested that, didn't go over well. She wants the ambiance of a real wood fire. Everything else seems to revolve around price, not heat.

She doesn't care about heat. A 2 cu ft EPA ZC is going to start around $3K. A standard builders ZC like a 36" Superior is only $400.

Sorry, just trying to be helpful. I'm too thrifty to understand burning without getting my heat back.;em

It's a tiny place. A fireplace will heat it, possibly too well, just like most stoves. It will just rob the heat as it cools down.

Thanks for the lively debate, everyone!

Conceptually I agree that I'd like to keep the heat that the fire generates. However, the space is so tiny, and seems relatively tight (storm windows, attic with insulation). If I have to crack a window every time we build a fire to keep from overheating then there really isn't any point to an efficient unit.

And yes, I want the ambiance of real wood.

Sorry to be dense, but is there a good resource for learning about different "external" options? I don't really understand the difference between ZC / freestanding / etc.

In a place that small, any wood heat is going to call for a cracked window.
The only difference would be with an open fireplace, once the fire dies down, your heat is going to get sucked up the stack and the place will cool down real fast, especially with a window cracked open.
Use the search for info you seek, there is a ton of it here, and google also.

Thanks for the lively debate, everyone!

Conceptually I agree that I'd like to keep the heat that the fire generates. However, the space is so tiny, and seems relatively tight (storm windows, attic with insulation). If I have to crack a window every time we build a fire to keep from overheating then there really isn't any point to an efficient unit.

And yes, I want the ambiance of real wood.

Sorry to be dense, but is there a good resource for learning about different "external" options? I don't really understand the difference between ZC / freestanding / etc.

As a mason I'm a little confused by all the new (to me) lingo around here myself.
ZC refers to Zero Clearence. Smoke stack or in this case prefabricated fireplace and smoke stack.
If I'm not mistaken free standing usually refers to a woodstove as opposed to a wood insert that nestles inside a preexisting fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.