Fireplace getting too much air??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
My mother has a fireplace in a house she has only had for two years. She has always had trouble using the fireplace. It seems no matter how dry the wood is it just never really burns that great. It does burn but takes hours to really get a semi decent fire going and then it eats wood like crazy(i know that is normal) but the fire really isnt burning out of control or anything. Kinda lazy but burning ok, and not even really throwing that much heat right in front of it. (I know most of the heat goes up the chimney but it really isnt even that hot if you stand right in front of it) Also it seems like you can put a bunch of wood on after burning all day and when you finally start to let it go out at night, it burns down and the coals are basically out and cool to the touch in a matter of and hour or two. I have a fireplace and sometimes still have a few cherry red coals in it the next morning. The thing I found real odd is if you close the glass doors the fire will take off like an inferno, even with the air inlets shut at the bottom of the doors. She doesnt burn with the doors shut cause she doesnt want them to shatter but stumbled upon this happening when shutting them for he night and there was one log smoldering and when she shut the doors "poof" it went up like gasoline! Could it be that it is getting too much air? I would think too much air would make the thing burn out of control and very hot? Her house is what I would call average insulated, newer windows and chimney is about 20' tall and 12x12 clay flue. Its got me baffled......

First of all after I know the open size I can calculate the relationship between the flue and opening. Second try experimenting with the grate and log placement forward back and see it there is a difference even side to side

Michael6268 said:
My mother has a fireplace in a house she has only had for two years. She has always had trouble using the fireplace. It seems no matter how dry the wood is it just never really burns that great. It does burn but takes hours to really get a semi decent fire going and then it eats wood like crazy(i know that is normal) but the fire really isnt burning out of control or anything. Kinda lazy but burning ok, and not even really throwing that much heat right in front of it. (I know most of the heat goes up the chimney but it really isnt even that hot if you stand right in front of it) Also it seems like you can put a bunch of wood on after burning all day and when you finally start to let it go out at night, it burns down and the coals are basically out and cool to the touch in a matter of and hour or two. I have a fireplace and sometimes still have a few cherry red coals in it the next morning. The thing I found real odd is if you close the glass doors the fire will take off like an inferno, even with the air inlets shut at the bottom of the doors. She doesnt burn with the doors shut cause she doesnt want them to shatter but stumbled upon this happening when shutting them for he night and there was one log smoldering and when she shut the doors "poof" it went up like gasoline! Could it be that it is getting too much air? I would think too much air would make the thing burn out of control and very hot? Her house is what I would call average insulated, newer windows and chimney is about 20' tall and 12x12 clay flue. Its got me baffled......

Most of what you say is normal.....

The chimney has a certain pull. When the glass doors are open, the chimney is "satisfied" by the large amount of air going up, and therefore does not pull strongly. When the doors are closed partially or fully, then the chimney pulls harder, creating a venturi effect (is that the right word?).

Think of it like a vacuum cleaner.....a smaller nozzle pulls harder with the same motor.

So, I agree to fiddle with grates and log placement. Here are some hints....

1. Start the fire up REALLY hot and fast with a lot of kindling - this will warm the mass and the fire should take better.
2. Make certain there is enough combustion air. Open a window nearby the fireplace a few inches and see what happens. If you see a big difference, consider installing outside air to the fireplace (assuming you have a basement or crawl or exterior wall).
3. Extending the chimney can help draft - I invented some products that do this at: http://www.extendaflue.com
4. You can install an electric draft fan on top of chimney...expensive, but always works. - $1400-$2200 installed.
5.You could install an insert....or even a set of fancier glass doors with ceramic glass (can be closed while fire is hot) - see Wilkening Fireplace or similar products.

The opening to flue size is correct. In one very open development (No trees formerly a glavel pit) the people had the darnest time getting there fireplaces to draft (BTW also Energy Star certified homes) First solution chimney caps did little, Second solution
outside air kits worked better than cracked window appraoch. Third solution I suggested reducing flue from 12/12 to 8/12 keeping the same openings. Bingo they worked fine with the outside air kit, but technically were not code compliant. The flue area was too small for the opening size. Here is a case where code writers have little field condition experiences and draft codes, that do not always work. That's right not only did I sign off these installations, I was the one to suggest the reduced flue sizes

getting back to your situation: I can not see your fire box and witness the damper position and curbature of the fire brick, to make a definite suggestion as what will work. There could be trees, hills, or even your own roof, that interferes with your chimneys draft. It is possible that moving the fire and grate position front back left or right could solve the draft issue. How old is the home and is it real tight? Have you cracked a window to get it going Try this first Next could be outside air kit or a cap or extenda cap.

Anybody with a fireplace should use one of these.

http://www.gratewalloffire.com

I went to a friends house that had one and it actually worked! Worked very, very well. ( As well as a fireplace can)

I don't use my fireplace much but it acts the same way. Open the doors and I get a more lazy burning fire with little heat. But if I close the doors it seems to suck more air and burn more violently. I get more heat out of my heatalator tubes with the doors closed, but it eats wood like crazy!

Sandor said:
Anybody with a fireplace should use one of these.

http://www.gratewalloffire.com

I went to a friends house that had one and it actually worked! Worked very, very well. ( As well as a fireplace can)

I can vouch for these. I've had one in my fireplace for 4 years now, and they really do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.