Q&A Fireplace Glass Doors--too expensive !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a house that is forty years old. The fireplace is in good condition however I would like to replace the screen and frame. I have a fireplace that is open on two sides (Front and Right). Local retailers offer custom glass doors however a little expensive for my blood ($700 on up). Do you have any suggestions for an economical alternative?

Answer:

Yes- the doors are expensive...You might be able to find a door to fit the wide side- and then either close off or install a fixed piece of tempered glass on the small side. If you wanted the screen only- you could have custom on (sliding screens) made..my guess is that you'll still spend $300 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.