Fireplace help..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry123

Oct 31, 2012
I've just moved into my new house, and have a fire place in my front room, I've never used a fire place before, do I need a certain type of coal for it? Is it easy as throwing coal in and lighting it? I've uploaded a picture to Give u guys a better idea.l
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351721163.087662.jpg

Welcome. It looks like you are in the UK, is that correct? You may be better off burning a briquette instead of coal, but I'm not sure. First get it inspected and clean. Your chimney sweep should have some thoughts on local fuel and what this unit is designed to burn. Ask your local stove shop too.

Reactions: Harry123
Yes, it looks like it's been in disuse for some time. Cleaning & inspection prior to any burning is certainly what I would do myself, and recommend to you. As far as fuel and just how to use it goes, just as begreen says, the local folks who know home hearth heating in your area would be the experts to consult. Rick

Reactions: Harry123
Yes I am from the uk. Thanks for the help guys, il see if I can find anyone local to inspect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.