1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fireplace Insert and Split Level Home Questions - Please help

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by SugaryinMD, Nov 28, 2011.

1. JonP

JonP Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    From your description it sounds as if your home and mine are substantially similar (same size, layout and stove location). Getting heat to travel up from the basement and around the corner to go to the bedrooms is challenging.

Hot air will rise all by itself but it gets backlogged, the trick is to get the cooler air to travel back down and create a circulation loop. I have explored cutting returns into my walls to get the cooler air from the floor level of the 2nd floor with the bedrooms to the floor level of the basement near the stoves. Due to the layout of my walls I am unable to try this. Fans may help. In the future I may try to run just the fan on my central a/c (no compressor) to circulate air through the whole house return in the ceiling of the 2nd floor to redistribute it throughout the house via the duct system.

Hopefully you find a solution that works for you.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KSgrown

KSgrown Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Just wanted to let people know how my set up is working. As I said before, I also have the laying down Y house, side-to-side split, master bedroom above stove room. I installed a return air in the wall at the end of the upstairs landing, near the floor, and it dumps out near the floor of the stove room. You are exactly right when you say the air needs a circulation loop. Last year (before I added this air path), the upstairs did not get very warm or it would take all day. But now, even without fans, the hot air rises up and the cold air dumps out of that return air vent. It's pretty impressive considering there are no fans involved. The power of convection! If anyone thinks this is possible in their home or wants more info, I can tell you how I accomplished this and show you some pictures. Also, the central furnace fan will help somewhat, but not as good as having a complete path for the air to naturally circulate.