Fireplace insert burn techniques/best practices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make a skeleton shovel and just scoop up the coals, shake the shovel so the ash falls through and then dump them back down like the picture below but in a shovel. Does anyone else think that would be useful?

I bought a stainless french-fry shovel, which is essentially the same thing. It works very well for separating coals from ash before scooping excess ash from the stove, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it just to save a few small bits of coal. When I'm not planning to scoop out any ash I've found I can just use my ordinary fireplace shovel to bring the coals up to the surface. I flip the shovel upside-down so the back of the scoop makes a little ramp, and push it from the front of the stove to the back so the ash and coals run up the ramp and fall off the edge closest to me. The ash must be heavier, because it settles to the bottom and leaves the coals sitting neatly on top. Then I just use the inverted shovel to pull the coals forward.

I have a cat stove so to leave air at the Max will give you flame impingement on the cat when u first are starting out when you close the bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.