fireplace insert HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinniep78

Nov 4, 2010
PA
i and going to install a new fireplace insert in my fireplace. I need to raise the firebox inside the fireplace a few inches so it is level with the hearth. Neighbor says i should use sand, dad says i should use firebrick and concrete, friend says concrete would be fine.. any suggestions on the most cost efficient and safe way for my insert sit flush and level with my hearth.

you can use any non combustable material bricks, tile, metal. you might need a combination of things to make the height that you need. what brand is the unit, some units have bolt at the bottom rear that will allow you to raise it abour 2.5 inches.

How much space do you need to make up?

The HI 300 has those bolts that i'm talking about. great unit i,ve installed dozens of them and burn a regency s 2400 free standing. regency is the company that makes the hampton.

overnight burn said:
The HI 300 has those bolts that i'm talking about. great unit i,ve installed dozens of them and burn a regency s 2400 free standing. regency is the company that makes the hampton.

the unit is flat with no bolts on the rear to raise it. that would be nice though

overnight burn said:
you can use any non combustable material bricks, tile, metal. you might need a combination of things to make the height that you need. what brand is the unit, some units have bolt at the bottom rear that will allow you to raise it abour 2.5 inches.
it is made by englander or summers heat, bought it online at lowes. was on sale 10 percent off plus i had an addition 10 percent off coupon, made it 1000 dollars

I put down wonderboard under my limestone hearth, and just mortared in some brick in the actual fireplace. REALLY EASY!

Answer: You are all correct. You can use any of those materials. Me, I would go with Wood-fan-atic's plan . . . using a cement board and/or bricks to bring the insert to level.

Regular bricks are fine. Heat shields on inserts direct heat toward the front of the stove. Under the stove will not be a heat/fire issue with any cement or brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.