Fireplace insert in a heatilator metal firebox? Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

Jun 6, 2015
Ohio
Hi all. I have a house that was built in 1980 (Bought last year), and we would really like to install a fireplace insert. I believe the original fireplace is a heatilator? It has 4 vents in the brick, two down low for intake, and two up high for the output. There are two blower motors in the low brick vents. When we bought the house there was a very old insert installed with no liner. I removed that last year and to my surprise found a masonry bottom with an ash door, but the rest of the firebox is metal? Also the top is metal rectangular which looks like maybe it was added for the fireplace insert? Above the metal everything goes to a normal clay type liner. We are looking at getting the osburn matrix. As is, i will have to get the projection kit as it is not quite deep enough. I was wondering if i could remove the metal surround which would give me quite a bit more space in there. Would there be any safety hazzards doing this? Attached is a picture of the firebox now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fireplace.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
wondering if i could remove the metal surround which would give me quite a bit more space in there.
Probably not unless you are going to build a masonry firebox in there. But i cant tell without being there to investigate.

Would there be any safety hazzards doing this?
There may not be enough masonry there to have proper clearances with out that box. Also some times the box supports the liners above them

Agreed, fit something to the heatilator and leave the metal in place. It would be hard to properly know how the masonry surround was constructed or the degree of protection it would afford. If the insert just projects a little then could some aluminum angle stock painted black and attached to the surround to fill the gap?

If you are set on the flush look you could check out the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5. That has slightly different dimensions and may be a better fit. Another option would be the Regency CI2600 but that gets some mixed reviews here. Or you go for a non-flush look which would give you plenty more options.

Be aware that any of those inserts needs dry wood to burn well and safely. How many cords of split firewood are already sitting in your yard to dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.