fireplace insert in double flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsps

Dec 4, 2006
Hi,
I am shopping around to have a fireplace insert installed in the the main floor of my raised ranch. The fireplace has a double flue for the upstairs and downstairs fireplaces. We don't generally start fires downstairs as they don't seem to draft well, but sometimes when we first start a fire upstairs we get some residual smoke smell downstairs and crack the windows, adjust the fire and eventually get it to go away.
If I have an insert installed with a liner will we get this problem still or will that liner keep the smoke from venting down into the downstairs?
Also...I am going between Regency and Hearthstone inserts.... any advice?
And our upstairs fireplace has brick that extends about 18" from the face of the fireplace.... and then there is wood floor.... is this going to be a problem if the stove juts out? I so want this insert...so tired of being cold upstairs in our bedrooms.... I am even willing to rip the decorative mantle off the darn fireplace and have him build me a new one !
Thanks

the smoke issue if in separate flues and the flues are in good shape no cracks or missing motar joints, then what is happening is the smoke exitis one chimney and a down draft in the adjacent chimney id pull it down. If you do an insert then extend the liner and cap up at least 9 to 12" to separate the exix s discharge locations.

You may have to purchase a hearth extention or build one Regency are good quality stoves It would help to see a picture of your existing fireplace also what is the verticle length of the existing chimney? it may be too short?

Thanks I called the dealer and addressed these issues with them;
Def. need hearth extension........
He said to first see how the fireinsert behaves before thinking about extending the chimney exit...
since 1) there will be less smoke
2) something about the diameter of the pipe which I didn't understand.

They are going to measure the fireplace and tell me if I need to remove decorative mantle (which I think is a yes) but I will ask him if there is enough vertical height to the chimney itself. I guess the owner comes out and actually looks which is good.

elkimmeg said:
the smoke issue if in separate flues and the flues are in good shape no cracks or missing motar joints, then what is happening is the smoke exitis one chimney and a down draft in the adjacent chimney id pull it down. If you do an insert then extend the liner and cap up at least 9 to 12" to separate the exix s discharge locations.

You may have to purchase a hearth extention or build one Regency are good quality stoves It would help to see a picture of your existing fireplace also what is the verticle length of the existing chimney? it may be too short?

Too short?? I hear someone has a extenda flue or two laying around. :)

rsps said:
Thanks I called the dealer and addressed these issues with them;
Def. need hearth extension........
He said to first see how the fireinsert behaves before thinking about extending the chimney exit...
since 1) there will be less smoke
2) something about the diameter of the pipe which I didn't understand.

They are going to measure the fireplace and tell me if I need to remove decorative mantle (which I think is a yes) but I will ask him if there is enough vertical height to the chimney itself. I guess the owner comes out and actually looks which is good.

Most stove manuals will tell you the minimum chimney height. Usually like 15 or 18 feet I think. Easy to measure if you feel comfortable going up on the roof. Just drop a tape measure down the chimney till someone else see's it in the fireplace.

Diameter of the pipe is probably smaller, thus keep more heat/cuft of volume so it will draft better pushing smoke up and away from the other chimney exit. Just a guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.