Fireplace insert installation problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a PE Pacifica insert and ran into the following:

River rock fireplace will not allow the insert & decorative shroud to push back far enough to connect the liner to the insert . My installer and I have been trying to figure out the best solution, so far we have come up with cutting the face rock off so the decorative shroud will inset into the rocks allowing enough room. I am dreading the dust created from using a diamond saw inside the house, even if we build a poly tent. Anyone with suggestions?

How about scribing the panels to fit inside the opening. You'd have to fabricate some brackets to screw the panels into, rather than attaching directly to the rocks.

That's what I did. Turned it into an "inside fit" rather that overlap. Looks better, in my opinion, like it was built that way.

You may use an offset box to solve the problem if your lintel is too deep.
that's what i did for my installation.

I have a similar problem with the damper frame overlapping the flue connection on the stove. With just six inches between the top of the insert and the damper frame and over half of it was taken up by the flexible liner adapter. There is just enough room to squeeze a 45 degree elbow in which tilts it back fast enough to clear the damper frame. Next step would be an offset adapter or tear out the new hearth extension and hardwood floor and restart lower to give more room (yeah right).

Kevin.

What about not using the surround at all? Myself and many others opted not to and we like the look.......

JMF1 said:
What about not using the surround at all? Myself and many others opted not to and we like the look.......

That's what we did, too. I hesitated to recommend that, since ours is an old pre-epa insert and I've not seen the modern inserts w/o the surround. I'd be interested to see pics of epa inserts w/o the surround panels.

I'd like to see some pictures of an insert without the surround. Im looking at my vista insert right now without the surround and the sheetmetal box looks rather strange without something covering it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.