1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Q&A Fireplace insert needs modification to fit

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

I recently bought a used fireplace insert and it doesn't quite fit. The insert is 36" wide and so is my fireplace. The insert angles off to the back. When I place the insert in the fireplace I don't have room for the side panels if I use the existing holes to attach them. QUESTION: Could I drill new holes 1"or so behind the existing holes so the panels will be on the angle of the fireplace , this should allow me to fit the insert and the panels into the fireplace. I would have to slightly bend the panels to insure a flush fit with the wall. Let me know if You need more information in order to help me out.

Answer:

I've done this on similar installations with no problem.The main thing is that you are still able to vent the piping from the insert up through the existing damper.As always, you have to maintain proper mantle and hearth clearances.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.