Q&A Fireplace insert needs modification to fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently bought a used fireplace insert and it doesn't quite fit. The insert is 36" wide and so is my fireplace. The insert angles off to the back. When I place the insert in the fireplace I don't have room for the side panels if I use the existing holes to attach them. QUESTION: Could I drill new holes 1"or so behind the existing holes so the panels will be on the angle of the fireplace , this should allow me to fit the insert and the panels into the fireplace. I would have to slightly bend the panels to insure a flush fit with the wall. Let me know if You need more information in order to help me out.

Answer:

I've done this on similar installations with no problem.The main thing is that you are still able to vent the piping from the insert up through the existing damper.As always, you have to maintain proper mantle and hearth clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.