Fireplace insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yochujr

Oct 20, 2009
Indiana
Hi, I just picked up a used Buck model 51 last weekend. I'm currently waiting on the new trim kit to come in and had a few questions. First, is there any way to get the door off? Second, when I plug it in and turn the rheostat, the fan doesn't come on so I'm not sure if it works just yet. It also doesn't have a switch. I've heard you can test it with a hairdryer and wanted to know if this is normal and how exactly to check it. I would prefer to find out if the motor or thermostat is back prior to installing it. I'm brand new to these and know very little about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Congratulations on the Buck 51 insert! The 51 is a great insert and built like a tank. The door should just lift off of the hinges. The fan on mine only has a turn knob. Turn it counter clockwise all the way to turn it off. Mine makes a loud click at the on/off point. Even when the control is on, the fan only runs when the insert is hot. I haven't tried to make it come on with a hair dryer, but that might work.

By the way, there should be kaowool insulation on top of the baffle. I sent a email to Buck to confirm this. Mine doesn't have it, so I need to add a piece.

Southland said:
Congratulations on the Buck 51 insert! The 51 is a great insert and built like a tank. The door should just lift off of the hinges. The fan on mine only has a turn knob. Turn it counter clockwise all the way to turn it off. Mine makes a loud click at the on/off point. Even when the control is on, the fan only runs when the insert is hot. I haven't tried to make it come on with a hair dryer, but that might work.

By the way, there should be kaowool insulation on top of the baffle. I sent a email to Buck to confirm this. Mine doesn't have it, so I need to add a piece.

Thanks for the feedback, I can't wait to get it in and start using it. Where do I look to see if the insulation is there and is it a necessity to have?

It should be on top of the baffle and you should see in thru the liner connection opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.