Q&A Fireplace Insert Search

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a fireplace with a heatiltor in my game room. The game room in the home I bought measures 24' x 13 1/2' (aprox. 325 sq. ft.).

The heatilator flap in the fireplace has rusted off because the previous home owner did not have a chimney cap installed. I want to replace the heatilator with a fireplace insert. The fireplace opening measures 36" wide by 23 3/4" high. I had considered special ordering a Hitzer fireplace insert which the company would have to custom build to fit my small fireplace opening. Now I'm reconsidering if the unit may put out too many BTU's for the relatively small area. An area vendor said I would also have to get the inner shell of my heatilator cut out with a torch.

Could you please offer suggestions as to what I should do? I don't know if I should consider the Hitzer, Brunco and Harman fireplace inserts which can also burn coal, or if I should go with a straight wood burning only fireplace insert

Answer:

Unless you are going to burn coal seriously, it might be best to consider a wood unit. Coal must be burned 24 hours per day, day in and day out, to be effective. It takes a long time to start and is more difficult to light than wood. The benefit of coal is the long burn time and steady heat.

There are a number of wood inserts that will fit your fireplace without modification. I see little reason to do any torching!

Get a mid-size or small unit, you;ll be happy with the heat output. Also, make certain it is installed correctly. You may want to opt for a complete relining, where a stainless steel pipe is run all the way up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.