fireplace insert to wood burnner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdp1

Feb 11, 2008
northeast ohio
i have a temco fireplace insert and i want to remove it and put in a wood stove.the insert is in the corner and framed in. face is 36"x21 7/8".
frame opening is 38 3/4" width by 38"height by 21"deep.there is 8 7/8 clearance from center of stove to wall frameing on both sides.left wall is aprox 46" and right wall is aprox 33" and 1'clearance in back.insert sets on a full raised hearth.chimney is 8"double wall.
question is, could a wood stove be put safely into existeing frame or is it better to tear out frame and leave open air space around stove? would 8"double wall pipe be sufficent for wood stove?
this is a modular home and is 1500sqft. i havent checked into what size wood stove or model to purchase as of now.i am thinking a medium size stove with a blower should keep house warm.
any suggestions would be appreciated and if more info is needed,let me know and i will get back to ya. thanks in advance.

You probably have Temco prefab ZC box NOT an insert. The 8" double wall pipe is probably cheap prefab air cooled pipe which is only listed to 1700 deg, it would not be sufficient to use for a wood stove.

Your best bet is to rip the entire thing out including the chimney and build an alcove for the stove to go into. There are probably also some wood burning INSERTS that you could slide into it and re-line the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.