Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outlookm

Nov 15, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I am considering purchasing a wood burning insert for my masonary fireplace. I have been doing a lot of research, and am interested in suggestions for the best insert for my situation, the opening of the fireplace is 35"w x 28-3/4"h, depth 24-1/2" width at the back is 24". The room where the fireplace is located is about 350 sq ft. and the balance of the house is about 1000 st ft or about 1500 sq ft total. I would like to purchase an insert of good quality that will be serviceable for many years. I also would like to have a clear view of the fire.
Suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you

I can't tell you what insert is best but I recently installed a Regency I3100 and so far I love it. My house is about the same size as yours and my floorplan is pretty open with 16 foot cathedral ceiling in the living room. My friend just installed a large Napoleon insert and he is pretty happy with his also. I think that you'll be impressed with the heat that these things produce and of course you want to think about moving the hot air around.
Good Luck

I installed a napoleon 1402 insert after a house fire in the spring due to an open fireplace. Impressed so far. Full homesaver liner. Rebricked the fireplace. Keeps the 1200 sq foot 2 bedroom ranch tosty. Maybe not the best, but works well.

Thank you for your help and interest. It is a pretty wide open question. This is a 3 bedroom ranch with a family room. There is no basement and I have heat in the floor.
Thanks again!!

I'd also try to get the largest insert that will fit in the space. You'll appreciate the larger loads and the longer burn times on those Buffalo, NY nights!

We just had a Napoleon 1402 and homesaver liner installed. So far I can say that burn times and heat produced are very good .
Heating a modern 2400 sqr. very open floorplan with 9 foot ceilings .
Insert is my living room that is large which opens to the kitchen, other smaller rooms off those .
Upstairs is in the middle of both the larger rooms .
Seems to keep Living rm 72 and kitchen 70 without pushing it .

Also burning a few bio bricks the guy threw in the package deal.

If I have a good bed of coals and a few nice split pieces there are a fair amount of embers to restart in morning .

Same goes for leaving for work . very little smoke from chimmey and door glass remains fairly clean .

Both my dad and brother recently bought regency I2400 inserts and llove them!For me i have a harman TL200 insert which i am having a good time with.

outlookm said:
I just purchased my insert. thank you for all the help.
Outlookm

Congrats! So the question of everyone's mind is which insert did you pick?

Best regards,
DP

Yeah Outlookm what insert did you pick?

I too have radiant heat in the floor.

This thing has been going straight though since Wednesday.
Kinda had to let it die today to clean some ashes out.

Just put an old loaf pan on top with water and a few cinnamon sticks.

74 in here tonight 27 outside

I have ordered the Jøtul C 550 Rockland, but haven't had it installed as yet, but soon.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.
Barbara Miles

You're going to like that insert... ALOT.

Get that chimney lined to the top and sealed up good... draft will be amazing. Heat output will be stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.