Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson

Dec 4, 2006
PA
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum. I've found some great info browsing the posts. I am hoping to get some feedback on a fireplace insert I am considering buying.

I am looking for a fireplace insert to heat the main living area of my home. The existing fireplace has a metal heatilator firebox in a brick chimney and stone fireplace surround. From what I have read in some other posts on this forum, this may be a problem for me already for installing an insert. The house is 20 yrs old, I've owned it 3.

I found a local person looking to sell a fisher insert. I looked at it today and it seemed to be in fairly good condition. I know this stove isn't efficient per today's standards, but I grew up in a house with a little fisher stove and I know they can throw some heat! 250 dollars seems right compared to what I would have to spend for a new stove.

The chimney has a terra cotta flue, with some cracks in the flue. So my plan is to get a stainless steel liner installed to hook up directly to this insert.

My question is can this be installed in the fireplace with the metal heatilator? If not, why and what has to be done?

The fireplace also has some outside vents on the back of the chimney, which I assume is part of the heatilator system. Should I leave these vents or block them off?

Also, pertaining to the stove itself, is there anything in particular to look for when inspecting a used stove prior to buying?

On a side note, I can't believe how the existing fireplace absolutely does not throw a single bit of heat at all! I can have a roaring fire in it and stand 1 foot away and not feel any heat. I don't know if the metal box design is that bad or the installer did something wrong, but it is hard to believe. As a matter of fact, the room gets COLDER from the draft when a fire is going.

Anyway, that is why I'd like to put an insert in also.

I'd appreciate any feedback before I jump in. Thanks.

I actuall just looked at the wiki on this site and see that my fireplace that I am referring to is a heatform fireplace.

welcome Jackson!

Im new here too, but its a GREAT website.

I had an old fisher freestanding stove in my last house, it was a very good little stove!

I am not fameliear with your type of fireplace, but im sure someone here will be, and can give you the details that you are looking for.

from my limited knowledge, on a used stove ( such as an older fischer), make sure it isnt rusty, and also that it hasnt been abused or overfired, warped, rusty, heat discolored metal would show that. But in my expereince ( somewhat limited) with those old stoves, Im not sure you could over fire one!

likely gaskets on the doors will need replacement, cheap and easy enough if it needs that.

ozarkjeep said:
But in my expereince ( somewhat limited) with those old stoves, Im not sure you could over fire one!

Yes you can. Oh yes you can.

I always hate to rain on peoples parade, but you need to get an insert, listed to be installed in a prefab fireplace. No other insert can go in there.
I doubt the fister has such a listing I would also check out the flue collar If it is 8" you may not be able to fit a lined down that chimney

While researching our wiki section Look int the primer for new stove buyers and how to buy a used stove

Status
Not open for further replies.