fireplace installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I am installing a fireplace in a new addition in my home.Its the Quadrafire 7100. I have two questions. Do I insulate the wall behind the fireplace and sheet- rock and then frame the fireplace 2" from the sheet-rock or just frame the fireplace 2" from the insulated wall? Same with ceiling, I am going to 6" tongue and groove car side the ceiling.Do I put the car siding up first to the box the flue goes through and frame the fireplace or frame up first and car side to the fireplace framing? Going to be 6' wide by 2' deep.

I am installing a fireplace in a new addition in my home.Its the Quadrafire 7100. I have two questions. Do I insulate the wall behind the fireplace and sheet- rock and then frame the fireplace 2" from the sheet-rock or just frame the fireplace 2" from the insulated wall? Same with ceiling, I am going to 6" tongue and groove car side the ceiling.Do I put the car siding up first to the box the flue goes through and frame the fireplace or frame up first and car side to the fireplace framing? Going to be 6' wide by 2' deep.

Your call. If you were putting this in an already completed room, you wouldn't have a choice, but it would be easier to sheetrock the wall with bigger sheets instead of trying to fit them in between the framing. I wouldn't waste the 12 Sq. Ft. of T&G in the chimney chase...

Status
Not open for further replies.