Q&A Fireplace Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: Fireplace Liners I am considering buying a wood stove fireplace insert. I'd like it to have outside air combustion. I live in Annapolis, MD. My fireplace flue is 9" (I think) terracotta at about 28'. I was thinking of using either a triple walled (Dura-vent) or double walled pipe where the air space is route for the outside air providing the enclosure around the fireplace is sealed well. One more question, how does one damper the liner to keep cold air from coming down the flue when the stove insert is not in use?

Thanks for your help. This is a great site.

Answer:

Outside air is not usually done in the way that you mention. No need to bring it all the way down the chimney...a small (2-3") hole through to the outside will do the job. Sometimes it can be brought up from a basement or crawl space thru the ash clean out. Make certain you purchase a unit which is set up for outside air. Fireplace installation of this option can be difficult, so be sure that you need it before going to the trouble.

11/2007 As for dampering the flue when not in use... typically shutting the damper and air controls of the woodstove coupled with positive draft will result in little to no cold air infiltration through a modern woodburning appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.