Fireplace odor-Liner Sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine

Jun 7, 2008
NY Capital District
I've searched the archives and I still have a couple of questions. I just had a Hearthstone hearth stove and 6" flex liner installed. Haven't burned it yet but we now have a chimney odor in the house. The fire place never smelled before the stove installation but the damper is no longer in place to keep the odors where they belong. They sealed the flex liner to the smoke chamber with fiberglass insulation just above the old damper location. I am wondering if the smell is coming from the smoke chamber area below where they sealed with the fiberglass or if the fiberglass is porous enough to allow the entire length of the chimney to smell up the house. Is there a better way to seal the flex liner to the damper area? It looks like it would be difficult to effect a better seal given the odd shape of the smoke chamber area and the tight quarters. I would need to make some kind of sheetmetal plate with a hole in it for the liner then try to caulk it to the liner and old damper area. Seems like it would be a tedious job! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alpine

Thanks guys, I guess I didn't search well enough. I had an idea that some sort of plate would solve the problem but I didn't know it was called a block off plate. I got my stove from a highly recommended dealer around here and had them install the liner because I thought they would do it right. I wish they had used a block off plate rather than the insulation but I didn't know about the plate until after the fact. A friend had another major stove shop install his liner and they also only used fiberglass. He has had no problems with odor but his fireplace had seen very little use prior to installing a hearth stove. Apparently, block off plates are not the norm around here but I'll be calling the stove shop Monday to express my displeasure.

Thanks, Alpine

Just curious, did the chimney get a thorough cleaning before the liner was installed?

The 12x12 tile flue was throughly cleaned by a professional. There is a small amount of shiney residue around the removed damper area and I don't really want to use chemical removal agents. I'll brush it and clean it up as best as I can before I put the block off plate in but it would be very difficult to remove all traces of creosote residue. The baking soda is a good idea and I'll try spreading some around. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.