Q&A fireplace opening relation to flue size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a 100 yr old 3-story home. We are only 3rd owner and have not used the fireplace and know that the previous owners also never used it. If it was used at all it was before 1919! The chimney has a flue size of 8" and the fireplace opening is 42" wide by 31" high by 29" deep. A CSIA certified chimney inspector told us that the opening is too big for that size flue so we can't use wood or gas logs. He recommended a gas or wood pellet insert, lining the chimney with a stainless steel liner. Are these our only options? I really don't want to mess with real wood so the gas or wood pellets inserts are intriguing me. I just want to know all my options. I am so confused though. I call fireplace stores and no one seems to understand this fireplace opening relation to flue size.

Answer:

While he is correct as to the flue size and opening, there may be more than meets the eye. Chimney height and fireplace construction can make up for a smaller diameter flue, so it is very possible that the chimney will draft. A good way to test it might be to burn a Duraflame log in it.

If it drafts well, then all your options may be open. If it does not, you can install any closed system, gas, pellet or wood. There is a lot of information on all these appliances at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Status
Not open for further replies.