Fireplace or Television?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the stove and all, but it's got tough competition from The Bachelor, Keeping up with the Kardashians, the Lifetime Movie Network...
Ugg all those sound horrible.

Couch is directly across from big window into the back yard. TV is at 10 o'clock stove is at 2 O'clock. Between the tv, birdfeeder, stove, a book, a phone /tablet, and conversing, I split my time fairly evenly, but all at once drives my wife nuts. Lol....

IMAG1789.jpg

Best of both worlds. The tv is a 50 inch is a little small in my opinion. I want to go 65 and wall mount to free up the space underneath. That way I can back the couch up a few feet. When it gets really cold and I dial the IS to deliver a lot of heat I need to be sitting in shorts and a t-shirt or I'm heated out. I just bought a Sony 5.1 soundbar with wireless subwoofer and rear satellites. It's really nice to not have a rats nest of wires behind there. The Xbox one runs Netflix and other shows thru it. You can't see it but there's a media player to the left of the Xbox and I download and watch pretty much anything I want thru there as well. I don't have cable..I'm a cord cutter. Come spring I'm going to put an over the air antenna on the house to get the local and network stations. Not really needed but occasionally I miss some of the sports games by not having cable.

This is my den by the way. The living room doesn't get much use. I don't have any kids yet so that might change.

My 48 inch Sony just to the right of the stove in the cornor. And to the right and above the TV is large picture windows and doors that look out at the bird feaders and the oak woods out back. So I say we have the best of all worlds.

I hate bashing people, but as an audio and videophile, above a fireplace is a horrible place to put a tv.

Nothing specific here except general warnings. I'm an audiophile and like video also. Get a full motion mount that allows ample space between wall. If you're still concerned, get a quiet 3" computer fan for behind the set moving air.

Viewing angle? Never been an issue for me, but my sofa is 11' from my set, closer may be an issue.

Besides, if you're an videophile, how long do you need your monitor to last? Something better is bound to come out.

I have no problems with heat or any other issues in the articles u attached on my install. So those articles are only relevant to some not all!!

No problems with heat on my install for over 8 years of using flat screens over the insert, the mantle blocks the heat from hitting the tv. Plus my center channel speaker has always sat nicely on the mantle below the screen. As for the neck position I just tilt the lazy boy back and I have a perfect viewing angle.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Status
Not open for further replies.