FIREPLACE OUTSIDE AIR KITS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Is there a way to install an OAK in a masonary heatalator type fireplace? Is it ok to do so? What size would I need? My flue is 12 x 12. I'm thinking of doing this if possible, and replacing my glass doors with air tight doors to eliminate cold down drafts.

I bought a Wilkening air tight glass door the other day and I am still looking into a way to get outside air into this thing. My latest brain storm is to use the ash dump that is right under the fire grate and punch a hole out the foundation. If I do this then I'll have to cover it some how so hot embers and coals won't block it or fall down it. Maybe try some 1/4" steel plate elevated over the top of the ash dump with spacers? Then I could just build the fire on top and the outside air would get heated as it comes up through the ash dump, hits the steel plate and flows out and around? Anyone ever try this with a fireplace or am I going to screw something up?

Well, technically the PE Summit insert configured for outside air supply uses the ash dump for its outside air. It'll be hard to prevent ash from clogging up the works with ash being so fine. The fireplaces I've seen with outside air, their intakes are on the sides. My guess is, even with a grate/screen/spacers the ash dump is in such a bad spot my feeling is that won't work.

I think your right about it eventually getting clogged if I didn't keep an eye on it, but it would be pretty easy to keep clean and I'd only be burning it maybe a dozen times per year when it really gets cold and the basement stove can't keep up. I mostly wanted the air tight doors to keep cold drafts out when it's not in use. But then again when I do burn it I want to get the best possible efficiency and cleanest burn. Probably try those bio logs like Thomas sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.