fireplace prep, heatalator removed ,insert here,fireplace a mess HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KRIPPER

Oct 9, 2008
westchester co ny
Bought a fireplace insert, Baker coal, will do install myself due to no$$$$,when insert was delivered dealer checked fireplace said heatalator must be removed ✓what behind it took out it out red brick about 6" behind heatalator outer most panel area between panel & brick seems when house was built they filled that area with stones scrap brick ,broken brick and areas of fiberglass insulationi I've removed all loose fiberglass and a few spots you can see the red brick . How much repair is needed to fireplace to be ready f/insert ,I plan to fill all spots where fiberglass was removed to make walls uniform thickness. As insert covers fireplace opening my concern is safety not how interior looks. I guesstimate 6" to 8" clearance most likely more from insert to interior fireplace wall. any other suggestions from professionals or those who have experience or have comments that might be relevant are most appreciated.I'm determined to do my part to break our dependence on foreign oil.What are the cons to using occaisional wood? I'm entertaining ideas for domestic hot water ,considering on demand electric hot water heater ,don't want gas .Thought about solar f/hot water, elec.solar panels to run elec hot water heater or direct solar to heat water is this possible any comments cheerfully accepted and appreciated.I'm new to this forum so if my questions are in the wrong section please redirect ....thanks

'

'

This is a rare case - really rare - of removal of the heatform (what you call the Heatilator).

I'm guessing that your would have been OK to install it without removing this! In fact, this is the firebox of your unit, so the opening is MUCH LESS SAFE with it removed, and in fact it would be against all codes to install the insert without having an actual firebox! That means you must have something built in there or replace that thing. An insert can only be installed in a functioning and reasonably built fireplace - one which is capable of burning wood. You can't do that in yours as it is now.

You must, of course, line the entire chimney with stainless steel. If possible, use a better grade (316) and use rigid where possible - it is thicker.

As to DHW, there are various ways to do this using coils, brass or stainless pumps and controls - but it sounds like you have some other work to do first.

Status
Not open for further replies.