1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fireplace Problems

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by pmsmith2032, Sep 26, 2013.

1. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You don't NEED it, but it is RECOMMENDED. It's another barrier & it can be sealed. You may be OK, tho...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032 New Member

Okay. I'll probably add it just to be safe. Any special kind or just plain old sheetrock?
  3. DAKSY

Loc:
    Plain ole sheetrock... As long as you meet the clearances on the rating plate, you should be fine..
  4. pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032 New Member

Thanks Daksy. I've learned a lot about fireplaces from you! While doing research yesterday I ran across the following article:

http://woodheat.org/the-outdoor-air-myth-exposed.html

According to this article, outdoor combustion air isn't beneficial. What's your opinion on this? If this is the case, I'll probably just seal mine off.
  5. DAKSY

Loc:
    It depends upon the building that the wood burning appliance is in, & the type of appliance in question. I burned a pellet stove for 3 years & never once considered putting another hole in my house. In the summer of 2012, we removed an entire wall of the home & remodeled our kitchen. The table was moved from one side to the other, so that it faced a newly installed window. That moved it into the direct path of the combustion air being drawn to the unit (a Harman P61A). The weather stripping under the front door had failed & the combustion air was being drawn in thru the remaining gap. It came down the stairs (kitchen in walk-out basement) & blew past my chair as I sat at the table where I had put my new laptop & Holy Crap! I was COLD. Hadda go put a heavy robe over my PJs...This past summer I put an OAK on the P61A & there is now virtually NO draft. Bottom line? If you have an older, drafty home, combustion air movement going to the unit will be noticeable, unless you have an OAK. I guess it's your call. If your particular state calls for an OAK to be on the appliance, you have to do it - AT LEAST until the installation is inspected & approved by the AHJ (Authority Having Juridiction). What you do with it after approval is up to you.