Q&A Fireplace Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have two fireplaces in my 3 level townhome, one in the basement and one on the main level. I purchased the home this past spring. The townhome is 11 years old. The problem I'm having is when I have a fire in the one on the main level the basement fills up with smoke. The fireplace on the main level is directly above the one in the basement, however, from the looks of the outside of the house there are two chimneys sticking out of the top of the brick frame work. Any ideas on what is the problem and can I fix it myself??? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer:

Best bet is to extend one of the flues so that it is at least 6-12 inches higher than the other. This way the smoke coming out the one flue will not get sucked into the (reversing) other flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.