Fireplace rebuilt and Englander 30 installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsruther

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I started on this project in Oct., '13. It was an entire room renovation and took a lot of time, partially due to budget constraints. Originally I was going to forego having a stove last winter, but the wife talked me into installing the old stove in the new fireplace in December. I'm glad she did because it wasn't long after that that the big freeze came.

I've had a lot of stoves at the top of my list over the past year or so and when it came down to it the ESW 30 won out. Cost was a big part of the decision, but the position of the flue opening on the stove was the big deciding factor. I wanted no bends in my flue and the only way I could make that happen was to have the flue opening near as possible to the back of the stove.

I've done 2 break-in fires so far and it's drafted pretty well considering the outside temps at the time. I'm happy with it so far and looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Before and after.

002.JPG 003.JPG 008.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG

The bad boy looks great in there. Good job all the way around.

Last edited:
That is a huge change and nice improvement. Well done.

This has a very high degree of deluxosity to it.

Thanks for the compliments. The wife likes it a lot and that's what's most important.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me how many secondary tubes need to be removed to be able to remove the baffles.

Just the front two.

That is flat out my favorite pic on this site ever. That stove looks like it was born in there.

Reactions: webfish
That is flat out my favorite pic on this site ever. That stove looks like it was born in there.
Wow, thanks. When I was putting it in there it felt like I was shoving it back into the womb. Took about 4 hours to get it from the floor to it's resting place.
The back of the stove is 2-1/2 inches from the back wall with the blower attached.

Yeah that is gonna be a problem. My blower crapped out and it means pulling the stove out to fix it and that ain't happening. The single thing I don't like about having it half in and half out of the fireplace. I can manage to unscrew the thing but it is too close to the back wall of the fireplace to unmount it from the heat shield.

Sounds like you may have just enough room to do it when you need too. If you have eight foot long arms. ;lol

I did kind of a custom retrofit on my blower, it's actually under the stove attached to a duct box which is attached to the back of the stove. I can remove the blower without taking the stove out, but it might be a little tedious with a lot of cussing involved.

Great job! The stove and the room look incredible!

Reactions: bsruther
Nice job !!!!

You're gonna love that stove !!

Reactions: bsruther
That looks awesome. I would have gotten that stove if my hearth was deeper. But it probably would have been too much heat for us as the 13 did a fine job over one of the coldest winters we have had in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.