Fireplace remodel, looking for ideas for flush hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windgate

Jan 8, 2014
Delmarva
I am remodeling our fireplace (see attached photo) with veneer stone. I already have the veneer, it is a grey (medium-dark) stacked stone that comes in panels. I am struggling with what to do for the hearth. Just about anything would be an improvement ( I removed a rather dated tile pattern).

I called a stone supplier and they quoted about $325 for a single piece of slate or granite (10 SF). Does that seem about right? I haven’t come across a tile that would look good, but plan to keep looking.

I am also concerned about the depth, The cement board (see photo) was in ok shape so I did not demo. I have about ½ to ¾ clearance between the top of the cementboard and the top of the fire box brick.

I have a Breckwell pellet stove insert that will be going back in once the remodel is complete

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled 111.jpg
    Untitled 111.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,194
Try a BBS kitchen/bath section and see what they quote for a custom counter top. Then you will be able to see if the stone supplier is in line. They have a worksheet right there (or computer program) that they can give you the price from.

Can't help with the rest of it - I think the veneer you are describing will look good though.

Can you post a photo of the stacked stone? Generally you want to contrast or complement the colors, don't try to "match". Is there going to be a shelf on the top of the mantle?

You could find some tile to accent your stone. Look around different places etc; Tile colors and variation are almost limitless.

Also $325 for a slab of granite is a pretty good price if they custom cut it, polish the edges, etc; If that is installed price it is even better. Basically they charge $29 to $45 bucks per SQ FT depending on the stone and a few other variables. I am assuming your piece is 2 ft. x 5 ft. = 10 SQ FT so divid 325 by 10 = $32.50 per SQ FT.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up finding a 12in x 24in slate tile at Home Depot and installed over the weekend. I will grout with a dark (charcoal) grout. Should look ok.

Reactions: bogieb
Throw up some pics when you get it done. I would have probably gone the tile route myself. Just as good and less costly. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.