Fireplace Remodeling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haarlem_mite

Oct 6, 2006
Hello,

I am in the process of doing minor renovations in my home, including the revamping of a small fireplace. The fireplace had been painted repeatedly over many years and I decided to strip the paint. Used a less harsh soy based stripper to remove the paint- but the end result was horrible. The tile underneath lost its finish and I have to re-tile- no big deal- but my main concern is what material should I use to replace the outer-hearth where I couldn't remove all the layers of paint.

Family members have suggested slate or flagstone.

My question is- what is the safest and most economical material for a tiny space- no more than 40"?

Thank you,
Haarlem_mite

Anything that is non-combustible works. Tile looks nice, stone, stucco, brick, slate....It's really up to you as to what YOU think looks nice.

Tile is probably the easiest to work with for most home owners. That's what I used and I've seen many others use.

Look at the pictures off the hearthnet main page for LOTS of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.