Fireplace repositioning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
I am wondering if I could put a couple of 90° elbows on this unit in order to pull it forward and have it seated into the room more. posting here to see if there are other options, ideas, attachments that will work.

My reasoning for wanting to do this adjustment/reno is that I lose a lot of heat on the sides as it radiates onto the brick it is recessed into.

Regency i1100s insert/stove

Attachments

• Fireplace repositioning
    20201114_154814.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Fireplace repositioning
    20201114_154820.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 90
Interior or exterior brickwork? It might just be converted into thermal mass. Not a bad thing.

Would 45s get you to where you want without killing the draft?

I've never seen a set up like you have with the wood all around 3 sides of the mass. Probably drives any moisture out of the wood. There are advantages to having thermal mass around your wood stove. It helps to even out the heat by absorbing it, the heat, into the mass. So when the wood stove cools down the bricks are still radiating out heat into your space.

The disadvantages - your stove might get hotter then if it were open. And the immediate heat is directed out the opening. So space heating in front of stove but not as much behind the stove/mass.

Also from cold, you've got to heat up the mass - so it takes longer to warm things up. Personally, I like this mass envelope around a wood stove, and I think it is an advantage - but I'm a masonry heater guy so thermal mass is a good thing. It looks good, too.