Fireplace Sound Simulators?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modern_caveman

Sep 15, 2007
Hi all, just starting to research gas logs and inserts to update the two fireplaces in my 100 yr old home. I'm not primarily concerned with using my new gas hearths as main heat sources, but rather to take the chill out of a room ocaisionally and add a pleasant atmosphere for family gatherings. For me, a big part of the appeal of a wood burning fire is the ever-changing sounds of crackling, popping and hissing - and that is something I know I'll miss with a gas hearth.

I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on fireplace sound simulators. Have you used one? Do they sound real? Where are they available?

This may be a bit of a quest, but I'd really like to have my new gas hearths look AND sound as real as possible! Thanks in advance.

modern_caveman said:
Hi all, just starting to research gas logs and inserts to update the two fireplaces in my 100 yr old home. I'm not primarily concerned with using my new gas hearths as main heat sources, but rather to take the chill out of a room ocaisionally and add a pleasant atmosphere for family gatherings. For me, a big part of the appeal of a wood burning fire is the ever-changing sounds of crackling, popping and hissing - and that is something I know I'll miss with a gas hearth.

I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on fireplace sound simulators. Have you used one? Do they sound real? Where are they available?

This may be a bit of a quest, but I'd really like to have my new gas hearths look AND sound as real as possible! Thanks in advance.

do you have comcast cable with high def? if so, they have a channel that all they show is a fire burning in a fire place with all the sounds that go with the fire - heck turn that channel on and crank up your stereo ;)

If you want heat you don't want a gas log.

Also there are a few vendors that make sound boxes you can put in or near a gas fireplace to add the sounds to it.

I have seen a few DVD's of burning fires - put the TV in the fireplace and you're all set...

I have a friend that has an "electric log" in her apt. (it's as close as she can get to a fire...) it has a little motor in it that turns a roller with tinsel on it in front of a light bulb - the reflections are supposed to simulate the flames and the tinsel hitting stuff the crackle - sorry, but sounds more like rodents running around to me.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.