Fireplace summer cover over existing Gas Unit...wood burning stove in Front?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woolleyr

Dec 8, 2005
Got me an idea the other day and wanted to get the "pros" take on it.

Have a large enough home here in eastern PA, heated entirely with propane $$$. At $2.25+ a gallon its time to think of another alternative....its actually cheaper to run electric heaters.

Anyway I have a propane DV sealed fireplace...looks cute and with the fan running it can heat the family room and kitchen...problem is it still uses propane and aint real.

Was thinking of putting a summer cover over the existing fireplace, a pre fabbed hearth board on the floor with a stove on top. I'd then vent up and through the side wall of house and then metal class A chimney up the rest of the way.

The concept here is to install the stove but if down the road I sell the house, I can remove it all, plaster over the hole inside and remove the chimney outside, remove summer cover and presto everything is back to the way it was...

I have all the toys for cutting and splitting wood and have been at it for years until the new house...I thought of a stove in the basement when we finish it but the chimney will end up being over 30' high and I don't do ladders that big...

Status
Not open for further replies.