Fireplace Surround and Hearth rebuild - Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
I know that nothing happens around here without pictures, so ...

Existing fireplace was absolute basic builders model black slate surround, hearth and mantel.

SWMBO asked if the slate could be replaced with tile - figuring it would be a job requiring tools I didn't have at the time, my answer was obviously a yes.

The existing mantel and slate parts were removed and out we went looking for tile.

First expansion - Wife: "Can you make the front part higher like in real fireplaces?" - Yes, I can make a raised hearth.

A trip to Home Depot for some metal studs later and the foundation for the hearth is in.

Install the tile, put the mantel into place - "The wood on the sides hides the tile, can you make it smaller?"

Disassemble the mantel, strip the paint and reassemble as shown in the pictures - "Now that I see it without the sides, I think it will look better that way - Can you fix the edge of the tile?"

Back to the tile store to get some tile crown molding and to harbor freight to get a diamond blade for the angle grinder

Cut one edge of the tile even - get up and realize that my wife is soon to be a widow when she sees the massive layer of dust on EVERYTHING downstairs. Get the shop to suck up the dust and cut the other side while sucking up the dust (easier said than done)

Installed the tile moldings but still need to grout them (just the moldings) - looks better than the pictures show

Less than $300 into the job including a 7" wet saw and 4.5" diamond blade from HF and all materials.

Aaron

Attachments

• PA010074 (640x480).jpg
    PA010074 (640x480).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,374
  • PA010075 (640x480).jpg
    PA010075 (640x480).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,338
  • PA030077 (2) (640x480).jpg
    PA030077 (2) (640x480).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,426
  • PA120080 (640x480).jpg
    PA120080 (640x480).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,415
  • PB050081 (640x480).jpg
    PB050081 (640x480).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,160
That's a nice change. I like the detail work around the fireplace opening.

And it'll be ready for a stove once the candles prove inadequate for warmth. :)

I've already got my eye on a Hampton insert with the glazed finish

The only issue with the hampton is they set the clearance to the mantel from the edge of the surround not the top of the insert. The Regency specifies the clearance from the top if the insert even though it's prettyuch the same model except with a plate steel face instead of cast iron

Aaron

Good thought. A Hampton or a Jotul would look great in that setting. And either one would give some serious heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.