Fireplace surround question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harkly

Jun 23, 2015
North Carolina
I am redoing my fireplace and the mantle and all surround has been removed. I am deciding between brick or tile. Is there any place that gives detail on what is needed to tile? What backing, tile, and grout to use. I've found a few things but nothing to detailed. I am guessing I am using the wrong terminology in my searches.

I've tiled before which is why I was thinking about doing that instead of the brick.

Can I apply the concrete backer directly to the fire brick or do I need a filler? That's my biggest concern

They will be able to answer the best way to make a good bed for the tile or stone. I'm no tiling expert, but you may not need backerboard for you job. Best to ask folks that do this for a living about the best options. They do fireplace fronts too.

FWIW, when I put a tile facade on our fireplace I did not use backerboard.

Have you considered stone veneer? It would be easier to install than brick for a novice.

I just started typing a response but realized you said you wanted to attach tile to the FIRE brick. Are you trying to put tile on the inside of an open fireplace? I would think that would be very ill advised. If that isn't the case and your just trying to put tile on the outside surround thats another matter but let's clarify first, where are you putting tile?

I have done lots of tiling in many different types of applications and I would recommend using thinset mortar to adhere the concrete backer board to the wall and or firebrick. This will give you a consistent structure to adhere the tile to. Wait a day to allow the thinset to dry then begin tiling on top of the backer board. When tile is complete then apply your grout and seal as needed and you are done.

Do not use an adhesive type thinset that is not mortar. The adhesive will not maintain stability in high heat applications. Typical thinset mortar will be stable in heat applications. Polymers are okay as additives. Hope this helps.

I've decided to do brick, so here are my thoughts on how to approach.
1. install durock that is a least 1/2 inch thick
2. bring the durock out to meet the firebrick - this sticks out 1 in past the wall
3. lay the brick
4. grout where the firebrick meets the brick

Does this make sense or am I approaching this wrong? Someone told me to do a layer of concrete instead of the durock but in my research I can't see why I would go thru all that trouble.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.