Fireplace Useable with Parging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jack_Straw91

Jan 28, 2024
Nashville, TN
Hello! I recently moved into a new home and am hoping to get the wood burning fireplace in useable shape. The home was built in the 1920s - 1930s and has the original chimney. Based on the attached photos, I’m curious if the group thinks this chimney is useable with a cleaning/inspection of the liner and parging the smoke chamber? A few things to note below:
  • I do realize that a stainless steel liner would be more efficient and up to modern standards, but if the current liner is cleaned and inspected, is it possibly useable? Trying to be cost conscious for now.
  • In the bottom left of the second image you can see the flue from the basement hot water heater also running up the chimney. Would it be sufficient to parge over that for heat protection?
  • The chimney currently does not have a damper, which I’m alright with for now.
Any input is appreciated, thank you!

IMG_1624.jpeg IMG_1627.jpeg IMG_1625.jpeg

Hello! I recently moved into a new home and am hoping to get the wood burning fireplace in useable shape. The home was built in the 1920s - 1930s and has the original chimney. Based on the attached photos, I’m curious if the group thinks this chimney is useable with a cleaning/inspection of the liner and parging the smoke chamber? A few things to note below:
  • I do realize that a stainless steel liner would be more efficient and up to modern standards, but if the current liner is cleaned and inspected, is it possibly useable? Trying to be cost conscious for now.
  • In the bottom left of the second image you can see the flue from the basement hot water heater also running up the chimney. Would it be sufficient to parge over that for heat protection?

View attachment 323975 View attachment 323976 View attachment 323977
Possibly there is just way to much to inspect to know from a simple picture like that. And a stainless liner won't make it any more efficient. It's an open fireplace it's going to be horribly inefficient no matter what. Especially with no damper

Reactions: webby3650
The fireplace is also lined with standard brick, not firebrick. So that’s also an issue.

I'd try for a small woodstove 1/2 in the fireplace 1/2 out if you can make the clearances. Run up a new liner for the stove and you would a have much better setup.

Is the water heater exhaust running in the same flue? I think that's not right. Unless piped separately.

View attachment 323975 View attachment 323976 View attachment 323977
Free standing wood stove w/ new ss liner and some kind of block off plate best option. Imo

Reactions: bigealta
I don’t know anything about fireplaces, but are you saying that’s a 100 year old chimney that looks brand new? I mean, that brick and mortar looks pretty clean. Not a spec of soot anywhere. Or was it re-lined?

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about fireplaces, but are you saying that’s a 100 year old chimney that looks brand new? I mean, that brick and mortar looks pretty clean. Not a spec of soot anywhere. Or was it re-lined?
Many were never used at all. By the 1920s people generally were no longer heating with fireplaces they were many times just added as a feature